Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Chevy Aveo Rear Tire Locked Up (Brake melted??)

EBQUIN9408
01-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Upon trying to leave work on Friday I put the car into drive and started to go but it just felt super heavy, the car was moving but it took a lot of force so I got out and someone pointed out that the driver's side rear tire was not moving at all it was just sticking and dragging - I tried messing with the ebrake a little bit and nothing happened so we let it sit over night and went back during the day when it was a bit warmer thinking maybe it froze up, tried the e-brake again and nothing so we had it towed to our mechanic who at first told me that the brake had melted and wedged into the tire and that's what was stopping it from moving so it was going to be $180 to fix (he charges about $90 an hr for labor I believe) no big deal but then he calls this morning and says that after they looked at it further something had happened with the bearing and it was cracked inside of the drum so that also had to be replaced (I really am not sure what any of this means, just repeating what I was told) anyway the final cost was $337 - does this seem like a reasonable situation that one would lead to the other? Also after I talked to my mechanic I did some searching on Google and found this to be a fairly common problem with the Aveo so I can't understand why this isn't a recall? I am lucky it happened in the parking lot but what if it'd happened while driving on the highway? I am just looking for some advice on whether we got over charged and if I can contact Chevy or GM at any point so that I can find out why this issue has not been recalled!

For anyone who is reading, and will respond I really appreciate your time!

rkvons
01-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Upon trying to leave work on Friday I put the car into drive and started to go but it just felt super heavy, the car was moving but it took a lot of force so I got out and someone pointed out that the driver's side rear tire was not moving at all it was just sticking and dragging - I tried messing with the ebrake a little bit and nothing happened so we let it sit over night and went back during the day when it was a bit warmer thinking maybe it froze up, tried the e-brake again and nothing so we had it towed to our mechanic who at first told me that the brake had melted and wedged into the tire and that's what was stopping it from moving so it was going to be $180 to fix (he charges about $90 an hr for labor I believe) no big deal but then he calls this morning and says that after they looked at it further something had happened with the bearing and it was cracked inside of the drum so that also had to be replaced (I really am not sure what any of this means, just repeating what I was told) anyway the final cost was $337 - does this seem like a reasonable situation that one would lead to the other? Also after I talked to my mechanic I did some searching on Google and found this to be a fairly common problem with the Aveo so I can't understand why this isn't a recall? I am lucky it happened in the parking lot but what if it'd happened while driving on the highway? I am just looking for some advice on whether we got over charged and if I can contact Chevy or GM at any point so that I can find out why this issue has not been recalled!

For anyone who is reading, and will respond I really appreciate your time!
You did not mention the year of your car, or the number of miles, but a wheel bearing that is going south will eventually self destruct if it is not corrected in time. Wheel bearings go out a lot on these cars nowadays. You just have to be aware of the symptoms and fix it ahead of time. It sounds fair to pay what you did for that work.

DeltaP
01-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Wheel bearings almost always give you plenty of warning. Should be able to feel it...especially in turns.

EBQUIN9408
01-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Sorry for not posting year and mileage, a friend suggested that I go on this site and post what was going on, but other than that I am pretty clueless as far as the forums go. It is a 2004 with almost 72k on it. I did not hear anything going on with the bearing or with the brakes at all I just came outside and went to pull away and the tire was stuck, I literally drove the car to work that morning with no problem at all. The brakes were also replaced pretty recently (about 5 or 6 months ago) so I believe that I keep up pretty well with the car.. as I said before I really don't have any knowledge on the subject but I found a good amount of questions online saying the same thing happened to their aveo, the tire locked up and it had something to do with brakes getting caught or sticking or what not... I understand the money is worth it because I do trust my mechanic but I just don't get if this is a common problem with this type of car .. Thanks for your response though, I appreciate your time!

Add your comment to this topic!