'03 fuel pump?

lueck.kim
01-21-2013, 06:45 PM
'03 chevrolet cavalier HELP!!
I had my fuel pump replaced in '07 and in '09 (70,000 miles). My check engine light came on and my gas gauge stopped working a few months after I got the fule pump replaced in 2009. I never went back to ask them what was going on.... I moved to california and needed to pass an emissions test to get my car registered here. So I took it to a shop and they said the light had to do with EVAP so they ran a test and decided I needed a valve replaced which was clogged. I had this done and passed my smog test but 2 days later my light came back on. They said I needed a new gas cap. So I put on a new gas cap then disconnected my battery to clear the code. My check engine light turned on again the next day. I have also noticed my car sounds a lot louder when it's idling and when I'm accelerating from a stop it feels slightly jerky. Any ideas about what is going on? Could I need ANOTHER fuel pump? Currently my car has 130,000 miles on it.

gmtech1
01-22-2013, 07:57 AM
You will need a scanner to clear the code, and you may want to have them check again anyway to be sure no other codes set. When you say your car is "louder" what do you mean? Out the exhaust, under the hood, from the fuel tank? They "jerky" feel could be fuel pressure, or a miss caused by plug, wires, ignition module, ect...Should have the fuel pressure checked if you think it may be a problem.

lueck.kim
01-22-2013, 09:47 AM
So the if the fuel pressure is bad it could be a variety of things? The shop I took it to said it was the fuel pump without even looking at it. Makes me think they are just trying to get me to do a more expensive repair.

The noise is coming from under the hood not the exhaust.

Tech II
01-22-2013, 01:41 PM
The shop I took it to said it was the fuel pump without even looking at it.

Time to find a new shop.....

Add your comment to this topic!