Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 windstar airbag code 32 and horn doesn't work

arlp
01-19-2013, 09:06 PM
2000 windstar 3.8 auto. with leather covered steering wheel.
Got airbag code 32 and horn not working. Replaced clockspring and still getting code 32 and horn not working. Does airbag light need to be reset. If so could you tell me how two do it?Could the problem be in the steering wheel itself?
Thankyou.

Searles Lewis
01-26-2013, 03:56 PM
2000 windstar 3.8 auto. with leather covered steering wheel.
Got airbag code 32 and horn not working. Replaced clockspring and still getting code 32 and horn not working. Does airbag light need to be reset. If so could you tell me how two do it?Could the problem be in the steering wheel itself?
Thankyou.

Yes to all. But the sensor could also be bad, and AFAIK, only the dealer coudl fix that and reset it.

same for my mother, horn and aribag light, 4 years at the dealer every few months, they have never fixed it correctly once.

12Ounce
01-27-2013, 06:38 AM
Getting the horn to work should be pretty straight-forward ... chasing down the problem with a voltmeter. If a clock spring is replaced, but not centered as it should be ... it will break again on the first drive.

The air bag is easy to trigger by accident ... so I would unplug it while using a voltmeter, as well as having the battery disconnected. Hunt down the problem with the horn, get it fixed and then consider re-plugging the air bag. CAREFULL!!

olopezm
02-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Disconnect the battery 15 minutes before starting to work on it. This will prevent accidental deployment of the system.

I had the same code and problem, fixing the clockspring got rid of it. I never needed any reset procedure as the airbag module resets and tests itself each time you cycle the key. As 12Ounce said, there is a chance that it wasn't installed properly and has broke again. You can disconnect the yellow connector at the steering column and behind the wheel and measure resistance across both sides; if it shows no resistance, the wiring is OK and the problem is elsewhere (unlikely). If it shows a very high resistance (Mega ohms) or open circuit condition, the wiring is broken and needs to be fixed.

Oscar.

Add your comment to this topic!