Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 Pontiac will not start.

Dethincarn
01-14-2013, 09:38 PM
It's a 1989 Pontiac 6000 LE

Hi! Created an account for some help with a constant worsening car issue. I appreciate any help that can be provided.

I am no mechanic. Most people I have asked are telling me that it is an electrical problem of sorts, I know that it could be at least anything related to the wiring, the alternator, or the even something as simple as the battery. I guess my best bet is to describe the situations in which I experienced these problems.

Here goes:

February 2011, myself and a group of friends drove about 17.3 miles to see a movie. Upon arriving with no issues along the way I parked the car and went inside. When leaving I came out to start it and nothing was happening as I turned the key over. No sounds, only the regular lights on the dash. After a few minutes of nervous waiting I decided to try all over and it started with no issues. This was highway driving and the weather was humid, it stormed very severely later that night.

In October of 2011 I encountered a similar issue when I was going out to warm it up for work. Except I hadn't even driven it that day. Nothing, I had to hitch a ride. Upon returning, it started up just fine.

November of 2012, I drove to a local Gamestop. It was approximately 4 miles, I stopped the car, went inside for maybe ten minutes and when we returned the car did the same thing, nothing would happen when we turned it over. Just the normal dashboard lights. We called someone and before the even got there it started up again.

Two weeks ago, I experienced a whole new issue. The car battery went dead just before an intersection. We crossed some bumpy railroad tracks and came to a complete stop at a red light where it died. We had to pay for a tow back to my grandma's house, when the driver let the car down we tried to start it again just for chuckles. Started right up. I assume the alternator didn't charge the battery. But we checked to see if it was putting out any power. It was functioning, but it was fluctuating between 9 volts and 14 volts. I have no idea if this is normal or not. But my Dad didn't seem to concerned. We checked the battery with a charger and it was dead. So we charged it up and went on our way.

I work third shift, and yesterday at 9:35 PM I left for work. Everything was fine on the way there. I turned it off and went inside. When I came out at 6:00 AM I tried to started and it started just fine. Except for one thing, I smelled a burning smell. Almost like the smell of burning hair on a curling iron. It went away almost instantly though, so I assumed that I caught the smell of a passing car in the parking lot and went on my way. I arrived home at 6:15AM. At 1:00PM I came outside to start it again to head out for some errands, it tried to start. For about 2 seconds before completely stopping. All of the lights are very dim, domelight, dashlights. Its been about 9 hours since then and still nothing. I would assume the battery is dead again.

Any suggestions?

Tech II
01-15-2013, 10:26 AM
I had a similar problem with my curling iron Jan of 2010.....it was warm and wouldn't get hot......but the following week when I used it, it was hot.....

Had a hot date in July of 2011, once again, it was only warm.....my hair was not perfect...can be the only reason I never got a call from her again.....

Two weeks ago, had my first date since July of 2011.....completely new problem.....this time the curling iron did not even get warm.....desperately, I had to use mousse....apparently, I used too much, because she didn't call back either....

While finishing my shift at Walmart as a greeter, I helped this hot looking chick out to her car with her cart......she gave me her number....then her car wouldn't start.....she was upset....she was having a bad day.....she said her curling iron didn't work this morning......I think she could be the one....

royengle
06-30-2013, 12:27 AM
Obviously, there is a wire grounding out, draining the battery. Could also be causing the stalls. but I think not. I am having same problems with my fuel injectors, working and then not. Next day they work again.

Add your comment to this topic!