Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 Cav no spark problems 2.2l

itzaboy
01-14-2013, 05:05 AM
After having problems starting the car, it finally wouldn't start and I came to find out that it had no spark. Now the battery is good and the starter does turn over, however it is not as fast as it once was. Just replaced the ignition coil assembly and still no spark also checked compression and all cylinders are 30 psi or less, I'm running out of ideals. Please someone with some knowledge help me.

Tech II
01-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Just replaced the ignition coil assembly and still no spark also checked compression and all cylinders are 30 psi or less, I'm running out of ideals. Please someone with some knowledge help me.

Ignition coil assembly? Is this the unit where the coils and ignition module are one unit, or does it have two separate coils, sitting on top of the ignition module?

30 psi per cylinder? That is not good....You need a strong battery.....all plugs have to be removed....fuel and spark have to be disabled.....throttle opening has to be wide open while cranking.......if you get 30 psi on all cylinders, and your gage is ok, then timing chain had to jump.....

itzaboy
01-14-2013, 10:08 AM
two separate coils, sitting on top of the ignition module is what it is. I was getting weak spark a few days ago but now i'm getting none. Could the ecm also be a problem?

Tech II
01-14-2013, 08:08 PM
ECM has nothing to do with spark until it starts.......

You replaced the ignition coil assembly......does that mean both coils and ignition module?

If yes, and you have no spark, check power and ground to the module in the harness...... if ok, possible crank sensor/circuit....

Ever recheck compression?

Ever scan for codes?

itzaboy
01-15-2013, 08:06 AM
ECM has nothing to do with spark until it starts.......

You replaced the ignition coil assembly......does that mean both coils and ignition module?

If yes, and you have no spark, check power and ground to the module in the harness...... if ok, possible crank sensor/circuit....

Ever recheck compression?

Ever scan for codes?

Yes both coils and the module, I even put the old coils on the newer module and still nothing.

I will recheck compression tonite, my scanner doesn't fit even though it says GM 1982 and up, can I use anything to bypass this feature??

Tech II
01-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Your vehicle is OBDII, and has a 16 pin ALDL connector.....does the scan tool have a 12 pin connector?

itzaboy
01-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Your vehicle is OBDII, and has a 16 pin ALDL connector.....does the scan tool have a 12 pin connector?

No it doesn't.

Tech II
01-15-2013, 02:12 PM
That's funny......pre'95 GM's had the 12 pin OBDI connnector.....after that it was the 16 pin OBDII connector.....which is universal for all vehicles....

itzaboy
01-15-2013, 03:09 PM
That's funny......pre'95 GM's had the 12 pin OBDI connnector.....after that it was the 16 pin OBDII connector.....which is universal for all vehicles....

I'm sorry I misunderstood what you meant. Yes the car does have the 16 pin connector. Of course seeing it also helped.
The tool I have only has 2 prongs on it. So it doesnt help at all.

itzaboy
01-18-2013, 08:15 AM
I got the OBDII code reader and hooked it up and it found 0 codes. Now im torn.

Add your comment to this topic!