Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 sunfire engine knocks

comet240
01-11-2013, 09:31 AM
hi i like to know what it is and how bad it is to drive wtih engine knocking

its basiclly ticking or knocking around the vavle cover yet if u put your hand on the cover you dont feel any knocking

what should i do etc

and how bad is it?

and no lights come on either for this

82Stang
01-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Ticking and knocking are two different things. If you hear a ticking around the valve cover, then you are not getting enough oil lubrication 'up top' or something is misaligned or broken, bent etc.

Sometimes the oil pickup tube in the oil pan, can get clogged, causing it to not suck much oil up top. You might need to drop the oil pan and check this. The pickup can get clogged from lack of regular oil changes. Or a broken, bent or displaced part in the top end can cause this ticking. If your oil level light is not on, then that's good. It might only need a look under the valve cover to inspect parts. Pull the valve covers and inspect parts as necessary.

Just because you hear ticking, does not mean the engine is done for, but needs attention. Good luck.

comet240
01-11-2013, 10:22 PM
ok what is the difference from knocking and ticking?

i know if you reve engin or drive it with like 2500 rpms etc she ticks faster or knocks which ever it is

ah great that be a pain in ass to work on in rain and slush

dropping pans on all these cars suck bad

i did try using lucas oil stablizer to thicken but it never helped

DeltaP
01-12-2013, 07:35 AM
If you ever heard a knock I think you'll hear the difference. A knock has a hollow sound to it.... they seem to resonate. Ticking's are a lighter sound. IMO

comet240
01-12-2013, 07:43 AM
ok maybe it jsut ticking then

goes tick tick tick tick several times in a second

its my sisters car and its been doing it for a a couple of years but now its louder
plus had to pull over to side of road the police ride program didnt like how my engine sounded and had me checked out lol
dont need the hastle again lol

DeltaP
01-12-2013, 07:51 AM
ok maybe it jsut ticking then

goes tick tick tick tick several times in a second

its my sisters car and its been doing it for a a couple of years but now its louder
plus had to pull over to side of road the police ride program didnt like how my engine sounded and had me checked out lol
dont need the hastle again lol

You have "Engine Noise Police" there? What did he say... tick or knock?!!:rofl:

comet240
01-12-2013, 08:04 AM
no it was ride program for drinking and driving during day 2pm other day

but they like to give u a hastle and they say you need to get that fixed it gonna blow up
so no nice have nice a day they had me pull over lol ugh

DeltaP
01-12-2013, 08:09 AM
no it was ride program for drinking and driving during day 2pm other day

but they like to give u a hastle and they say you need to get that fixed it gonna blow up
so no nice have nice a day they had me pull over lol ugh

Jeeze... happy hour must start early there!:grinno:

comet240
01-12-2013, 08:35 AM
they wanna make it so police can do it all the time whenever they feel like it too

so what do i look for when i pull the rocker cover off?

DeltaP
01-12-2013, 08:46 AM
What engine is that, the little GM 2.4 or something? Look at cam lobes,loose cam bearing caps,broken springs,cocked springs. Look at the underside of the valve cover for scraping marks. Turn the engine over in direction of rotation by hand and see that all the valves move equally,close tight against the cam lobes. Try to rock each valve keeper side to side,see if any are loose. These are just preliminary thoughts off the top of my head.

DeltaP
01-12-2013, 08:48 AM
they wanna make it so police can do it all the time whenever they feel like it too

so what do i look for when i pull the rocker cover off?

They still need 'reasonable cause' to pull ya over.

comet240
01-12-2013, 08:51 AM
well it was a standard ride program but cuz engine knocking wanted to check me out
always stupid questions where u going etc

with the engine ticking i was going to tell cop i wanted ti sound like that

like when i was a kid i put the cardboard in the spoke of my bike to maket the
sound effects lol

DeltaP
01-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Tell him that's a baseball card you have sticking in the cam sprocket with a clothespin so you can sound like a Schwinn!:rofl:
Was his name 'Sargeant Engine Knocking' ? He's just fishing for an excuse to search people and their cars.

comet240
01-12-2013, 09:03 AM
thats what i thought good thing i just had the emssion test done last week and sticker put on it lol frig eh

ya i hear ya

comet240
01-12-2013, 02:09 PM
so when i pull the rocker cover what am i looking for?

DeltaP
01-12-2013, 05:30 PM
re read post #10

comet240
01-12-2013, 06:39 PM
What engine is that, the little GM 2.4 or something? Look at cam lobes,loose cam bearing caps,broken springs,cocked springs. Look at the underside of the valve cover for scraping marks. Turn the engine over in direction of rotation by hand and see that all the valves move equally,close tight against the cam lobes. Try to rock each valve keeper side to side,see if any are loose. These are just preliminary thoughts off the top of my head.

oh ok ill take a look
and its a 2.2 engine
i do know when the engine is cold it wont start it takes a few turns before it does wanan kick in does that help any for what i need to look for

Add your comment to this topic!