Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dead Battery

jazziesdad
01-07-2013, 07:39 PM
98 F150, 4.6 125,000 mles., went out to start it, battery was dead it had been sounding kinda weak so i got a new battery, it started right up, I hadn't driven it in a couple of days, but I have started it each morning to make sure it would still start, I came home this evening figured I check it out since I'd planned on driving it in the morning, it barely turned over, then click click click,alternator possibly? any help would be appreciated

oldblu65
01-09-2013, 12:49 AM
98 F150, 4.6 125,000 mles., went out to start it, battery was dead it had been sounding kinda weak so i got a new battery, it started right up, I hadn't driven it in a couple of days, but I have started it each morning to make sure it would still start, I came home this evening figured I check it out since I'd planned on driving it in the morning, it barely turned over, then click click click,alternator possibly? any help would be appreciated
Sounds like you have a bad alternator ? Will it start if you boost it off ? If it does , drive it straight to whatever parts store you prefer ( Autozone , Advance , etc. ) and leave it running ( good idea to take a second person with you to babysit the truck while you're inside just to be safe ) when you go in to get someone to come out and check the alternator's output . If it won't start , do you have a second battery that you know is good and temporarily install it . Then see if it will start . Does your truck have a volt gauge that will show if it is charging ( assuming it does start ) ? A bad alternator will ruin a good battery making it necessary to replace both . If your alternator stops charging , then your truck runs on battery power till it runs out of juice and that will kill a battery . Try this and see what you find out . Keep us updated - Good luck !

jazziesdad
01-26-2013, 06:42 AM
Ok checked everything out, had a couple bad wires I replaced, ran fine for a week or so. go out this a.m. it starts up and my flashers start to flach along with my dash lights, I turn it off and they're still going so I disconnect the batt. hook it back up and it's fine, what's up with that?

Add your comment to this topic!