Page updated on 11-22-2017

Decals over PE parts?

eternazr4
01-07-2013, 07:27 PM
I picked up a PE parts set for the Tamiya 86 and BRZ projects i'm working on atm. The PE set for the BRZ has a Subaru emblem that I want to put the Tamiya supplied Subaru emblem decal on to. wondering if there are any tips/tricks to applying decals to PE parts, Or can they just be applied as per the normal way to plastic? Perhaps a decal softner to help the decal fit to the contours of the PE emblem?

Thanks!

freakray
01-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Is the photo etch emblem a 3D piece with the stars etc as part of it?

It will be nearly impossible to align the graphic of the decal with those of the photo etch if the stars are etched. A safe alternative is to paint the emblem.

eternazr4
01-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Is the photo etch emblem a 3D piece with the stars etc as part of it?

It will be nearly impossible to align the graphic of the decal with those of the photo etch if the stars are etched. A safe alternative is to paint the emblem.

The PE emblem is definatley 3d.

Damn! that's what i was afraid of :-)

Thanks.

freakray
01-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Don't panic, it's not that difficult to do.

I actually wrote a tutorial on how to go about it which is here on AF, I just need to update the links to the photos as it seems they're broken now. Let me figure out how to bring it back to life and I will post a link to it here.

MidMazar
01-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Don't panic, it's not that difficult to do.

:iagree:

Freakray did have a sweet tutorial. I think believe it or not the pe tutorial was for a subaru pe badge.

All you have to do is paint the pe blue and then basically wipe off the top of it with aq-tip with some thinner and the bottom of the pe will be still blue. What i did on a certain badge was paint it and then sand of the pe with an ultra fine sanding stick.

Heres a tutorial for prepping pefrom a great modeller know as 360spider here on AF.
http://italianhorses.net/Tutorials/Photoetch/pe.htm

This one might help a little.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=237849

If freakray fixes the pics they will give you a step by step picture how to. Although i think you should experiment because if you mess up you can always strip the paint. Pretty much any stripper including brakefluid, rubbing alcohol, thinner won't damage the pe part.

petesy
01-09-2013, 12:44 AM
I don't know how deep is the double etch of the Subaru emblem from Tamiya, but what I did with the ones from Aoshima is to paint them in the desired colour, and sand it with 1000 grit sand paper after the paint was dry.

Add your comment to this topic!