Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Misquoted repair

julieanne
01-07-2013, 01:41 PM
I gave my 2000 grand prix to my son. Car is pretty old but still a good car, there were a few problems with it. Number one was the power steering fluid leak. Well, a 20 yr old non mechanical son didn't seem to think that adding the fluid was a big thing. Wrong, he blew out the pump. Sent him to a mechanic and replaced the pump. Why the leak wasn't fixed I do not know. Well the same leak gets worse and ruins another pump. This time I get involved and take it to a known mechanic shop in the town where I work. We discussed the problems with the leak and how it needed fixed, as well as another pump. He gave me a price quote of 500$ to replace the pump and (after making sure) another 50$ for the power steering hose. He said lets hope it is only the hose and not in the rack and pinion as the cost will go up significantly. I told him that I was unsure of how much to spend on this car if the repair cost more than the 550$ due to the age and having over 200k miles.

So, we get the car in after a week (son didn't have the $$) and in the shop it went. On the second day I was called and told that the leak was indeed in the hose and the car was finished. The repair only took two days.

Well, a week later guess what. The fluid is GONE and afraid he ruined the pump again. He called after the holidays to get the car back in. They are going to look at it in two days. There is no way we would have paid over a 1000$ to fix this car. I am feeling like they did this on purpose knowing this. We were assured the leak was gone as they kept it an extra day to drive it to make sure.

What should I do?

DeltaP
01-07-2013, 04:07 PM
So they sold ya a pump and a hose and assured you it was done...no leaks. That means they ruled out the rack leaking. Take it back and give 'em time to diagnose it and tell them no work to be done until they call you. Then when you go there don't go in there screaming. Just remind them that they assured you there were no more leaks and it wasn't the rack and the job was done. Stick by your guns and see if they'll finish the job for just the price of the part. If you keep fluid in the steering pump it'll probably be alright for now. Remember you dont have to let them fix it. You could get a second opinion beforehand...$550 seems a little steep for that work on that car. Speak to the manager and know by name the person you dealt with the last time. I don't understand why you think they did this on purpose.

Tech II
01-08-2013, 11:30 AM
So we have replaced 3 pumps and a hose thus far?

I want to know why pumps were replaced.....ok, you drive down the road, you get noise, and then lose power steering....that doesn't mean you need a new pump......sure, you put fluid in, but if there is air in the system, it will continually make noise, and have reduced steering, but that doesn't mean the pump is bad....have seen lines blow and cars come in with no Power steering and the reservoir is empty,and more often than not, it did not need a pump.....just needed the leak fixed and air removed from the system.....

To lose three pumps, you have to see an external leak somewhere......somebody has dropped the ball on this one......

Add your comment to this topic!