Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 taurus overheating

dj1111
01-06-2013, 04:17 PM
My son's Taurus was low on coolant a few weeks ago so he filled it. Today it was overheating and stalling so I took a look at it and it was almost out of coolant. Added a gallon and a half to the radiator and started it. The temperature went up pretty quickly to hot but not overheating. I then started to see steam coming from somewhere but it wasn't easy to find looking from the top of the engine. When I took a look under the car the steam/vapor was coming out of an exhaust leak near the cat converter. And I also noticed the same leak was spitting out disgusting brownish liquid. It was splattering all over the concrete below. The next thing I did was squeeze the upper radiator hose and it was pressure-less and not even warm. As I did this I noticed bubbles percolating in the coolant reservoir. I checked the temperature again and it was still in the high zone but not red and went back to look at the reservoir and it was bubbling like a pot of water on the stove. When I turned the engine off it continued to percolate for a few more seconds then stopped. When I opened the reservoir the coolant looked like brown coffee.

I'm thinking head gasket?:mad:

TaurusKing
01-06-2013, 08:35 PM
yeah, bubbles in the overflow tank = no good. probably can smell the sweet antifreeze out of the tail pipe too. Head gasket most likely. 3.8 engine? Once in a while, 3.0 would go, not too often. 3.8 is troublemaker with gasket and motor mounts two sore points. Too bad it is a nice torquey motor, part of the reason the poorly designed mounts would rip, good luck.

dj1111
01-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Yeah I should have mentioned. 3.0 V6. Around 120,000 miles if you wanna believe it. Oh well, he paid $400. for it 2 years ago and never put any money in it except oil changes. Thanks for the reply.

infomatrix
03-28-2013, 04:08 PM
oh my goodness.....donts scare me....my car is a 96 3.0 v6....150,000 miles on it...its a pretty good car and you can tell its a little older when the tranny shifts....it slips some times...buts its a darn good car.....since its older im about to run steel seal on it to stop any cracks on the headgasket from happening , or from getting any bigger....i have heard miracles from this product....maybe you should give it one last shot with it...before anything else....would like to hear back if you actually try it....

Add your comment to this topic!