Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Won't Shift Out of Park

phipps
01-05-2013, 10:06 PM
My son has an 07 Aveo that he has been having problems with it shifting out of park. I suspect the interlock on the shifter isn't releasing but I don't know where to start troubleshooting.

rkvons
01-08-2013, 12:24 PM
My son has an 07 Aveo that he has been having problems with it shifting out of park. I suspect the interlock on the shifter isn't releasing but I don't know where to start troubleshooting.
My daughter has an 05 that had the same problem. Pop was probably spilled down in there or something. I took off the plastic housing around the shifter (you know, the entire console), studied what was preventing it from coming out of park (it was a white plastic piece), and then busted that piece off with the smack of a carefully placed screwdriver. No more problems.

phipps
01-08-2013, 12:59 PM
It does seem to do it more on colder days so I was thinking something got spilled down there and gets sticky when it gets cold. For now I showed him the override. I may look into your solution if he keeps having problems.

toni1595
01-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Hi,
I have an All Data subscription and found this bulletin, but yours is a '07, so I don't know if this applies or not.

Toni

Bulletin No.: 07-07-30-007

Date: April 04, 2007

TECHNICAL
Subject:
Automatic Transaxle/Transmission Shift Lever May Not Shift Out of Park (Replace Brake Transaxle Shift Interlock (BTSI) Solenoid)

Models:
2004-2006 Chevrolet Aveo
2004-2007 Chevrolet Optra (Canada Only)
2005-2006 Pontiac Wave (Canada Only)

Condition

Some customers may comment on either of the following conditions:

The automatic transaxle shift lever may not shift out of the park position and the ignition key cannot be removed (North American vehicles only).

The automatic transaxle shift lever may not shift out of the park position (vehicles outside of North America only).

Correction

Replace the brake transaxle shift interlock (BTSI) solenoid. Refer to Shift Lock Solenoid/Switch Assembly Replacement in SI.

Parts Information

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

Disclaimer
Account | Vehicle | Contact | Exit
© 2013 ALLDATA, LLC. All Right

DeltaP
01-12-2013, 08:50 AM
My daughter has an 05 that had the same problem. Pop was probably spilled down in there or something. I took off the plastic housing around the shifter (you know, the entire console), studied what was preventing it from coming out of park (it was a white plastic piece), and then busted that piece off with the smack of a carefully placed screwdriver. No more problems.

I keep mine well lubricated with cigar ashes.:iceslolan

phipps
01-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the info, Toni!

Any idea where the shift lock solenoid is located?

toni1595
01-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Yes, I'll try to attach a picture of the location.

If it doesn't show up, it's right next to the shifter itself, on the drivers side.

Toni

Tech II
01-12-2013, 12:44 PM
I believe it's the whole shifter....can't get just the solenoid....

I would check the wiring harness first though.....saw many intermittent problems with the harness to the solenoid, due to flexing.....the wire breaks inside the insulation, making intermittent contact........

phipps
01-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Actually I found the solenoid online as well as instructions how to replace on aveoforum.com.

Thanks everyone for the info!

Add your comment to this topic!