Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

radiator

army
01-05-2013, 09:27 PM
looks like i need to replace radiator do i need to get under the car to get bottom bolts of the fans off or can everything be taken off from the top without taking the shroud at the bottom off any sugestion would be appreciated. thanx

DeltaP
01-06-2013, 06:39 AM
Just in case there was another Buick sold in Canada the year,model,eng would be helpful.

army
01-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Just in case there was another Buick sold in Canada the year,model,eng would be helpful.
Sorry about that it is a 1998 buick lesabre 3.8 with 326,000 km i had a good look at it and i can't see any leaks, saw some steam at front of the car thats why i thought it was the rad(but that has stopped) no real visible leaks on ground when parked or idling i also noticed temp gauge fluctuating up 1-2 lines then down 1-2 lines constantly it doesn't get hot enough for fans to come on i am just hoping that head gasket is ok. dont see anything in oil or coolant, what is the best way to tell if coolant is going out the exaust manifold.car still runs great. does anybody have any suggestions. please and thanx.

DeltaP
01-07-2013, 04:32 AM
Tailpipe.White smoke. Look for constant,tiny bubbles in cooling system with engine running,rad cap off.

polarzak
01-07-2013, 05:33 AM
Check your coolant level. You could have a very small leak, that doesn't necessarily show up under the car. Low coolant CAN cause the temp gauge to fluctuate.

aleekat
01-07-2013, 07:03 AM
Pressure test your coolant system. You can get a loaner kit from most auto part stores.

imidazol97
01-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Was the radiator tank itself full and how was the level in the reservoir tank?

What caused the steam may just have been snow or ice that got near the warm radiator and melted and evaporated.

You may just have a thermostat that is opening and closing if it's not low coolant in the radiator itself.

As for leaks, there are the many places on and in the engine that can leak. My 98 had a leak that I couldn't find for years in the radiator itself. But I never found any traces of coolant or the GM sealer I had put in which leaves a powdery trail. When I pressure tested I found a leak on the top curve of the tank. It opened up only when the system was under pressure. If the system is under pressure and the leak opens, a little pressure and coolant comes out which cools off the system. Then the temp and pressure builds back up and the crack opens again.

Mine did not leave a trail on the plastic of the tank end. But I had noticed a few drops of coolant fall out at the bottom of the tray below the tank. There's a drain hole in the middle and it's sloped toward the middle. On the driveway it looked like it was from the AC condensor area. I expect leaks around the tubes going into the end tanks. But I only found the cracked plastic because I used a pressure tester from OReillys loaners.

To remove radiator, take off the holder for the air intake box. Remove the top plastic cover plate by undoing the top bolts for the fans and a couple others--I forget just where. Remove tubes for transmission fluid and the two hoses. Lift radiator out and drop new one in. I found a Delphi replacement online relatively cheap and it was a perfect fit for the original.

Good luck.

army
01-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Was the radiator tank itself full and how was the level in the reservoir tank?

What caused the steam may just have been snow or ice that got near the warm radiator and melted and evaporated.

You may just have a thermostat that is opening and closing if it's not low coolant in the radiator itself.

As for leaks, there are the many places on and in the engine that can leak. My 98 had a leak that I couldn't find for years in the radiator itself. But I never found any traces of coolant or the GM sealer I had put in which leaves a powdery trail. When I pressure tested I found a leak on the top curve of the tank. It opened up only when the system was under pressure. If the system is under pressure and the leak opens, a little pressure and coolant comes out which cools off the system. Then the temp and pressure builds back up and the crack opens again.

Mine did not leave a trail on the plastic of the tank end. But I had noticed a few drops of coolant fall out at the bottom of the tray below the tank. There's a drain hole in the middle and it's sloped toward the middle. On the driveway it looked like it was from the AC condensor area. I expect leaks around the tubes going into the end tanks. But I only found the cracked plastic because I used a pressure tester from OReillys loaners.

To remove radiator, take off the holder for the air intake box. Remove the top plastic cover plate by undoing the top bolts for the fans and a couple others--I forget just where. Remove tubes for transmission fluid and the two hoses. Lift radiator out and drop new one in. I found a Delphi replacement online relatively cheap and it was a perfect fit for the original.

Good luck.
ok computer hard drive went to sleep for good so I coudn't write an update. well when I drive and system has pressure I cant see it leaking anywhere but when parked overnight now I get a puddle of antifreeze on the ground in the morning so I took it to get pressure test (did it when car was cold) put 12lbs pressure and it started to leak out plastic elbow going from belt tensioner to LIM I cant understand how it can leak overnight with no pressure in the system at that spot (plastic elbow) if I park the car for a couple of hours there is nothing on the ground but overnight there is a good size puddle of antifreeze on the ground. what would leak with no pressure in the system and not leak with a pressurized system. any suggestions would be appreciated thanx

Tech II
01-11-2013, 05:24 AM
Those elbows are famous for leaking......it's possible when the engine is warm, things expand and become "tighter", and the leak is there, but minimal.....as the engine cools down, things contract, and the pressure in the system pushes the coolant out.....

To replace the elbow, the whole tensioner assembly has to be removed....I think on your year, there is an o-ring that has to be replaced on the lower part of the assembly....newer vehicles use a second elbow, instead of an o-ring.....use OEM....there have been problems with aftermarket....

army
01-11-2013, 06:10 AM
Those elbows are famous for leaking......it's possible when the engine is warm, things expand and become "tighter", and the leak is there, but minimal.....as the engine cools down, things contract, and the pressure in the system pushes the coolant out.....

To replace the elbow, the whole tensioner assembly has to be removed....I think on your year, there is an o-ring that has to be replaced on the lower part of the assembly....newer vehicles use a second elbow, instead of an o-ring.....use OEM....there have been problems with aftermarket....
thanx I will try that and see what happens. I believe this has two elbows

army
01-12-2013, 07:16 AM
thanx I will try that and see what happens. I believe this has two elbows
I am wrong one elbow

Add your comment to this topic!