Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Bravada fuel system problem

ThatOneCarGuy15133
01-03-2013, 04:56 PM
hey, i have here a bravada year 2000 v-6 and i just did the fuel filter. i drove the truck for 5 minutes and once i shut it down it turns but does not start. now the fuel pump was loud when i first diagnosed it and after i fixed it it was much quieter than before and the truck ran, started 2 times after repair. once i shut it off the third time it would not start. temp outside is 38 degrees and i was wondering if a line was cut there would be fuel everywhere at 66 psi but i found no liquid gas. but when i turned the key while truck would not start i could smell raw fuel. is there a fuel line that is strictly for fumes or am i chasing ghosts when it comes to that? also fuel pressure was good enough to make the fittings i installed to leak (had to fabricate a new section of fuel line) and after tightening those up it would not start. battery terminal is loose and could not get the hood back open to tighten it up latch broke. any and all simple fixes (no matter how stupid ) posted as i would like to diagnose my customers car ASAP please let me know and thank you in advance. :confused:

Rick Norwood
01-03-2013, 06:18 PM
hey, i have here a bravada year 2000 v-6 and i just did the fuel filter. i drove the truck for 5 minutes and once i shut it down it turns but does not start. now the fuel pump was loud when i first diagnosed it and after i fixed it it was much quieter than before and the truck ran, started 2 times after repair. once i shut it off the third time it would not start. temp outside is 38 degrees and i was wondering if a line was cut there would be fuel everywhere at 66 psi but i found no liquid gas. but when i turned the key while truck would not start i could smell raw fuel. is there a fuel line that is strictly for fumes or am i chasing ghosts when it comes to that? also fuel pressure was good enough to make the fittings i installed to leak (had to fabricate a new section of fuel line) and after tightening those up it would not start. battery terminal is loose and could not get the hood back open to tighten it up latch broke. any and all simple fixes (no matter how stupid ) posted as i would like to diagnose my customers car ASAP please let me know and thank you in advance. :confused:
Have someone turn the key to "ON" but don't crank it while you stand by the Gas cap door, can you hear the fuel Pump 2 second prime cycle? You should hear the fuel pump whine for two seconds. If you can't, assuming the electrical connections are good, You have probably lost your fuel pump.

Oh and BTW, Loud fuel pumps, squeeling, whistling, howling etc. are a sure sign of fuel pump going bad. Even if it does start, the loud fuel pump tells me you're on borrowed time.

ThatOneCarGuy15133
01-03-2013, 06:38 PM
hey thanks it confirmed my clients fear as this particular pump has to be bought as an assembly. ill drop the tank and swap it out and ill also check the volts while im there... do you know what it should be at?

Rick Norwood
01-03-2013, 09:32 PM
hey thanks it confirmed my clients fear as this particular pump has to be bought as an assembly. ill drop the tank and swap it out and ill also check the volts while im there... do you know what it should be at?No I am not sure of the voltage requirements. However, do your client a favor and make sure you buy an AC-Delco Delphi Pump. If you replace the existing pump with an Airtex Piece of crap pump, or some other aftermarket pump, you will be doing the job over again in about 6 months or less for free. AC-Delco is THE ONLY WAY TO GO!

Add your comment to this topic!