Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Temp guage reading low

molczak714
12-31-2012, 09:01 PM
I have a 98 trans sport and the temp gauge is reading low. Only on the first line when driving then when i pulled into the garage it went up one line and heat got warmer. Felt both upper and lower hoses and i can press them both in Fluids are full no leaks anywhere. oil is good tranny fluid is good. I just got it on a trade it runs and drives great no problems at all.

MagicRat
12-31-2012, 09:10 PM
My first suspicion is your thermostat is stuck open, allowing the full flow of coolant through the radiator all the time.
This device is supposed to stay closed until the coolant at the top of the engine reaches about 195 deg F. Even then it will not open all the way, but just enough to maintanin temperature.

BTW this is not just an inconvenience for lack of heat. It wastes fuel, because the engine control system thinks the car is on a cold-start mode and makes the fuel mixture richer.
Also, it accelerates engine wear.
New thermostats are cheap, about 10 bucks with the gasket, and installation is relatively easy.

If you get a new one, you must get the 195 degree version to ensure your car functions properly. There might be 180 and possibly 160 deg versions. These are for specialized applications and are not appropriate for most cars and driving applications.

molczak714
12-31-2012, 09:31 PM
My first suspicion is your thermostat is stuck open, allowing the full flow of coolant through the radiator all the time.
This device is supposed to stay closed until the coolant at the top of the engine reaches about 195 deg F. Even then it will not open all the way, but just enough to maintanin temperature.

BTW this is not just an inconvenience for lack of heat. It wastes fuel, because the engine control system thinks the car is on a cold-start mode and makes the fuel mixture richer.
Also, it accelerates engine wear.
New thermostats are cheap, about 10 bucks with the gasket, and installation is relatively easy.

If you get a new one, you must get the 195 degree version to ensure your car functions properly. There might be 180 and possibly 160 deg versions. These are for specialized applications and are not appropriate for most cars and driving applications.

Thanks i will pick one up and start there

grease_monkey1975
12-31-2012, 09:39 PM
thermostat, like magic rat said

WelmoedJ
01-01-2013, 05:02 AM
I have a 98 trans sport and the temp gauge is reading low. Only on the first line when driving then when i pulled into the garage it went up one line and heat got warmer. Felt both upper and lower hoses and i can press them both in Fluids are full no leaks anywhere. oil is good tranny fluid is good. I just got it on a trade it runs and drives great no problems at all.

Alike others I suspect the thermostat.
It might even be possible there's no thermostat at all.
This often happens when a car with cooling problems is on sale, they just remove the thermostat to make the system look like it's working and avoid the costs of replacement.

Tech II
01-01-2013, 08:32 AM
If you've never done one before on this kind of engine, it's not that easy....

molczak714
01-01-2013, 02:09 PM
If you've never done one before on this kind of engine, it's not that easy....

i will swap it out. I know its a pain in the ass to get to under the throttle. I got the right tools though to reach in there. The bottom bolt on those has a notch in the housing so i just need to remove the top bolt and loosen the bottom one.

Add your comment to this topic!