Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Accord LX belt fixed?

Elk1007
12-29-2012, 05:41 PM
I have a belt in my engine that squealed every time I started the engine cold or got water on the engine (rain etc).

The belt itself has no cracks or fraying. I loosened the adjustment bolt on the alternator which raised the alternate up slightly and tightened the belt.

The squeal is completely gone even when starting from cold now. :biggrin:

Should I just conclude the belt was loose, or is there a precaution I should take?:confused:

65comet
01-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Modern materials make belts look great right up to the time they fall apart. If you're not sure of the age, probably the best bet is to replace it. Then you know you have a good one and how old it is. If it is a serpentine belt that rides the back side on tensioners and you can still clearly read all the wording, then it might not be that old and just needed an adjustment. I'd check on the cost and go from there.

Elk1007
01-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Modern materials make belts look great right up to the time they fall apart. If you're not sure of the age, probably the best bet is to replace it. Then you know you have a good one and how old it is. If it is a serpentine belt that rides the back side on tensioners and you can still clearly read all the wording, then it might not be that old and just needed an adjustment. I'd check on the cost and go from there.

Thanks. I'll make sure to inspect them a little closer :smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!