Page updated on 11-19-2017

Paint problems

dingguya
12-29-2012, 04:41 AM
How do I prevent this from happening? No matter what I do, the paint seems to be pooling too much and not sticking to the primer enough, especially on edges as you can see.

http://dingguya.com/f/mod/ts7-problems.jpg

This is Tamiya TS-7 Racing White with 2 mist coats and 2 somewhat wet coats. I haven't sprayed the body yet, because this doesn't bode well. Never had this happen with other colors, seems to happen with this TS-7 only. I'm spraying directly from the can, as I don't have an airbrush.

One thing I do need is white primer instead of grey for this color.

Any tips are welcome!

hd221813
12-29-2012, 04:54 AM
Don’t spray too heavily. Apply a light coat, let dry (or make it dry by spraying just air), then apply another coat and continue until the desired coverage is achieved.

lovegt40
12-29-2012, 05:09 AM
when I must paint in white or yellow over dark plastic I always use before a light shade of flat light grey.
It is the same when u must paint yellow over red plastics, typical when u wanna finish a ferarri in another color than red.

stevenoble
12-29-2012, 07:45 AM
Biggest problem is the grey primer. You really need a white primer for the best results. Once you have that, then apply the white in very light coats and allow plenty of drying time between coats. It's the only way with Tamiya TS sprays as they are very, very thin. Build it up very slowly or this will happen every time..
I would consider a cheap basic airbrush if possible. You could use the Zero basecoat Pure White. It will cover very well, even over grey primer in just a few layers. It makes the job so much easier. Tamiya TS paints are very translucent. They will take on the colour of the underlying plastic or primer. It can even change the colour. The reds are really a good example of this, needing a nice, white undercoat to achieve their best and true colour.

SuperMele
12-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Confiming what Steve said. I can see grey thru the paint, so either the part is grey moulded, or primed in grey...

When painting light colours i always prime in white first (tamiya fine white from the can)

Eric Cole
12-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Sorry for this long post and I apologize in advance if I’m telling you things you already know…

Although the most obvious problem is caused by the gray primer it’s not the only problem you have with this paint. There are other things that may need to be addressed.

The gray primer is only part of the issue. White primer is always easier to cover with white, light or translucent colored paints. Using white primer would make this painting session easier.

However, if gray primer is the only option at this time then more than 2 mist coats of TS-7 may be necessary before moving to the wet coats. In this case of white over gray you should not see any gray before you apply your first wet coat. Then, still be careful with the wet coats because TS paints seem to reactivate (soften up) the previous coats of paint causing it to pull away from edges. Also, when I’ve experienced this same issue (and I have experienced it) I find that holding the can a little further from the part when painting helps me avoid this problem.

Also, you may consider warming your can of paint. Warm it with a hairdryer or hot water from the tap. Warmer cans produce more pressure and atomize the paint more finely. Also, warmer paint dries faster. Be careful not to over warm, you don’t want an exploding paint can.

Last, how old is your can of paint? Normally this isn’t an issue as I have and use cans of TS spray that are several years old without any issues, but, the reason I ask this is because there appears to be something wrong with your TS-7 finish in your picture. TS-7 is a gloss paint, correct? Your paint looks very flat (and it may just be the way the photo was taken) but TS-7 shouldn’t look like that when sprayed.

stevenoble
12-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Last, how old is your can of paint? Normally this isn’t an issue as I have and use cans of TS spray that are several years old without any issues, but, the reason I ask this is because there appears to be something wrong with your TS-7 finish in your picture. TS-7 is a gloss paint, correct? Your paint looks very flat (and it may just be the way the photo was taken) but TS-7 shouldn’t look like that when sprayed.

Eric, I've had this before where the primer has just simply soaked up the colour like a sponge and I've basically ended up with a flat finish. I've switched to other primer brands and it seems to have solved the problem.
Also to the original poster and this may seem like a stupid question, so please don't take offence, but did you shake the can thoroughly before using..?? It could explain the reason for the flat finish that Eric describes..

dingguya
12-30-2012, 09:32 PM
@Eric Cole:
Thanks mate. More mists coats, got it. The paint was actually warmed before spraying and the can itself I bought maybe 2 months ago, so definitely not too old.

And I think it's the picture because it is actually pretty glossy. I guess it just doesn't show well on the picture.

@stevenoble:
Yeah I always warm and thoroughly shake the can before spraying.

Thanks guys. I'm going to sand the parts a bit with 600 grit to roughen up the surface a bit and will see if I can salvage these parts with some more mist coats. Otherwise I may have to strip the paint and start again.

I'm also looking into acquiring an airbrush, which would solve a lot of these problems.

dingguya
01-08-2013, 10:04 PM
I'd decided to strip off the paint and after some searching found 99% isopropyl here in Seoul (Euljiro 4-ga station right outside exit 6).

The parts have been soaked for about 20 hours now and I'm able to take most of the paint off with a toothbrush, however the areas where the paint has pooled are still a pain. I'm going to leave it soaked for another day and see what happens.

Tami.P
02-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Yap, i will also recommend first white primer.
Then after keeping it dry do 3-4 coats of white color.
It will not give this type of finishing which i am seeing in this picture.
So, give it a try and please add pic of new one with good finishing.
:)

Add your comment to this topic!