Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2007 caravan dies instantly as it starts

exalteduser
12-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Hello my caravan is doing this thing lately (cold weather) where i start it and when i hear it start i let off the key and it dies instantly (like It fires for an 1/8 second). Ive had it go as bad as 7 tries before it stays running. after it does get running it runs perfectly. The most recent time it threw a code of "p1607 internal shutdown timer rationality condition"

other noted issue is that the power steering pump squalls really bad when its under about 45 degrees until it warms up, fluid level is fine. I think the fluid is gelling up causing alot of friction. I dont know if this added friction upon cold start could lead to the engine dying right away.

I have also heard that there are some idle sensors of some sort that can cause this dying on startup condition, Does anyone have anything more specific? Thanks

RIP
12-26-2012, 02:33 PM
By any chance is your security light on? It sounds similar to a typical security system engine immobilizer kicking on though it will usually run for 2-3 seconds before dying. I may be splitting hairs. It's usually caused by the system not recognizing the fob or a SKIM module problem.

Idle sensors? The only idle "sensor" I know of is the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. It controls engine idle rpm anytime the throttle plate is closed meaning your foot is off the pedal. Once you press the pedal it's out of the picture. The camshaft and crankshaft sensors establish engine timing. Generally when one fails it will crank all day but won't start at all. A failure makes the PCM turn off power to the ignition coil and fuel injectors.

Here's a little background info on the P1607: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231464

exalteduser
12-26-2012, 04:42 PM
no security light is on and it happens with both fobs. i never even get my foot to the gas pedal before it dies so the throttle would be closed. (fuel injected) :O I will try the next cold start with it depressed a bit and see what happens

Add your comment to this topic!