Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting Trouble

da donn
12-17-2012, 07:47 PM
:jerking: Hi all Wondering if anyony could troubleshoot with me? I am in australia, and have Holden Rodeo, am assuming these are very similar cars if not the same. Our 2004 Rodeo is having intermittant trouble starting, sometimes when the key is turned it is dead, no clicking noise, all lights on dash are on and engine light flashing. it goes from being dead to a short turning of engine, eventually it will turn over but may have trouble firing. the next time it will start perfectly. please help :D

amigo-2k
12-17-2012, 08:48 PM
check your battery connections and battery ground points first.

then if your battery is +5 yrs old think about replacing it.

after that it could be one of the main relays.

da donn
12-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks Ryan,
We had the same idea with the battery ,and replaced it only to find the problem continued, We will check the relays,, hehehe hopefully my hubby knows where these are :D

boritz
12-19-2012, 01:22 PM
G'day da donn,

Possibly starter-motor contacts. Your description is similar to symptoms that my Jackaroo exhibited a while back. Auto-leccy job if you can't do it.

Cheers.

DeltaP
12-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Google "cranking system voltage drop testing".Or go to http://www.engine-light-help.com/ .G'day mate.

WhiteRodeo4x4
12-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Check the power to the starter. Mine had a lose nut on the starter and did the same thing. you can reach the nut trough the fender well on the right side.If you can get the nut off just clean the area and reattach the cable:banghead:

da donn
12-30-2012, 03:55 AM
sooooo we have been to the auto electrician TWICE, the first time he thought it was an earth problem at the steering wheel tightened the bolts charged us the next morning same problem. 2nd time he put the scanner on and it came up with code p1626, engine immobilizer. started twice after resetting and now it will not start at all. arrrrrghhhh

DeltaP
12-30-2012, 06:50 AM
Is the code back?

da donn
12-30-2012, 04:36 PM
we don't actually have a code scanner, but we assume so, as it is doing the same thing except now it WILL NOT start. we have gone over all fuses, wires and starter with a test light.. looking like a tow job now :'( Oh and the auto ellecy gave us a reset for the ignition where you put the ignition on for 11 mins, off for 30 sec for 3 rounds.. nothing

WhiteRodeo4x4
12-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Vehicle Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Not Received Sounds like a fuel pump issue. Try jumping the fuel pump :banghead:

da donn
12-30-2012, 06:32 PM
I might just add now that this is a duel fuel system, petrol/gas.. fuel pump jump sounds good, could you give us a clue on how to do this,, we really appreciate the imput :)

Add your comment to this topic!