Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 LX Gasoline Fuel Tank Capacity

65comet
12-17-2012, 08:59 AM
All the owners manuals I've found online say it has a 17.1 U.S. Gallon capacity. I have now twice run out and only able to get 14.5 back in at the gas station, that has been within a couple of miles and calculating for the gas in the can. Before I take the tank apart to see if the pickup is bent, does anyone know if a smaller tank was an option?

Elk1007
12-30-2012, 12:54 AM
I remember reading that it does have a 17 gallon tank, but that the sensor for the low fuel light kicks on when 3 gallons remain.

Are you sure it ran dry, or did you just refill after seeing the fuel light turn on?

65comet
01-02-2013, 11:14 AM
As soon as a little bit of gas is added to the tank it will start and run. I've been doing a thread on the HONDAACCORDS forum. Everyone there and myself have thought it might be some of the following: dented tank, swapped in smaller tank, wrong pickup tube, bent pickup tube or pickup tube has a hole it in just at the 3 gallon mark.
So when I get done working on my Escape I'm going to open the tank and see which it is. I'll update when I know.

jeffcoslacker
01-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Everything I found indicates 17 gal too, and I tried looking for maybe a universal fit or economy tank that might have smaller capacity but came up with nothing. So if it's less, it was probably swapped with another year/gen or is somehow damaged like you said.

Add your comment to this topic!