Page updated on 11-18-2017

Legend 1/24- 1/25 anyone?

lovegt40
12-15-2012, 05:35 AM
hi there,
does anybody knows if somebody ever did the model of the legend car in our scale (24-25?)

http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/335140/codyswanson3.jpg

yelo
12-15-2012, 08:26 AM
A friend of mine built a couple of those, he used some 1/32 scale body and motorcycle engine from old 1/24-1/25 kits that came with a motorcycle and kitbashed/ scratched built the rest of it... I'll see him later today, if I remember it I'll ask for more details if you want...

lovegt40
12-15-2012, 09:11 AM
yes yelo, and also some pics if u have.
the legend is a pretty cool new stock car. Just seen theme racing also here in europe. too funny races.

lovegt40
12-15-2012, 11:03 AM
http://www.uslegendcars.com/

just tried to send theme an email if some drawings/blueprint with measures are available.
This to have an idea of the eventual work to do to make it from scratch.
The wheels seems the same as nascar ones (rim is the same). maybe bigger tires?

yelo
12-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Ok! He build one and started another one but never got to finished it....

The body type you've showed in the picture is available in 1/32, the engine came from one of the MPC trike re-issued a couple years ago, just be aware that some of the trikes have a car engine and some have a motorcycle engine, the Tiki tryke and one other are the one's your looking for. Around here they all run 14" wheel with cooper tires but it might be different elsewhere. The rear differential is was from a Chevrolet Chevette cut on the right side to narrow it and offset the pumkin to the right so the drive shaft and engine could be push as far as possible to the right and leave room on the left for the driver...

Unfortunately, I forgot my camera yesterday so I didn't get pictures, even worst, the finished one is now un-available since it was sold to the owner of the real car... All I can do is get you pics of the "project" one and some scan of is mesurement and paper pics he got of the real one.... But that is gonna take a short while since I'll need to get back to he's place to get the info....

Hope it help!

lovegt40
12-16-2012, 04:51 PM
thansk for the infos yelo.I love this little funny car.
Right now I am organizing some drawings obtained via software from iRacing game.a very good friend of mine is very skilled in such kinda works.
what really impresses me are the tiny dimensions of this toy. all the pics and the games dont give correctly the idea of the actual mini size of this toy.
according from my infos the wheelbase, in 1/24......is 7.72 cm (1854:24)!
means all the car...is nearly 13 cmts long in 24 scale.. LOL...is the size of a fiat 500.
Thats why the 4 wheels seems giant..and they are just 13" inch ones from nascar.

Took those dimension from the italian legend cars website. I always use the wheelbase as standard measure to obtain all the others.

http://www.legendscaritalia.it/index_htm_files/71.png

lovegt40
12-17-2012, 04:35 AM
and I am also thinking to try this new 3d printing service.
The legend is quite small, from iracing is also possible to obtain the 3d of the inner cage.

cool stuff, at affordable price. can be a revolution in those kinda works?

http://www.shapeways.com/model/371246/1-24th-dirt-late-model-dirt-modeler-blueprint.html?li=productBox-search

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_371246_691973_1354767494.jpg

modlman17
12-17-2012, 07:00 PM
You're looking at a very ambitious project. Because of the actual size of the Legends cars, you're going to face a dilemma. There is no chassis/roll cage from a kit that is close to the Legends design in whole or in part. The engine would have to come from a motorcycle kit or be scratchbuilt. The body will also have to be scratchbuilt to match the scale of the engine. I don't mean to be discouraging, but a proper Legends build would require lots of scratchbuilding to be anywhere close to accurate. If there was a resin kit that was even close to being accurate and having each component in scale, it would be a great seller in the US if advertised properly. Here is a site with more details on the specifications... http://www.legendsracingeurope.com/spec-and-info

Rob

lovegt40
12-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Yes Rob, u are absolutely right.
Looking at all pictures I've found around what comes to my eyes immediately is the mini-size of the legend car.
Wheels seems giant, but they are simply ordinary 13" nascar wheels, with 255 tire with pattern (that nascars dont have).
They say it is taken form 1934 ford coupè, but it is just an overall lookalike. I've found a real ford '34 in 1/25 scale (think lindberg or something similiar ugly..) and is a giant vehicle compared to real legend size and measueres.

The chassis is however the less scary part of the build, due to its little size and with evergreen styrene is not so particolar build up.
The same for the engine,u can easy take it from little 1/24 bikes from heller...cheap and decent in look (ok, will be a legend powered by motogp..).
The body is little tricky to be done, and yelo's friend is right giving the tip it is better to look at something in 1/32 or 1/35 scale.
Thats why I am really tempted to try this new 3d service before starting a conventional scratch build up.

The real GIANT problem for me now is the lack of good documentation about the car.
I mean it is much more easy to find real stuff,but seems nobody has proper modelling documentation about the car (they build it quick and race it ..just).
Neither company of course answered me till today.
Their website is mostly a league site, with racing calendar and racing events only. Nothing or nearly about the car, exluding the usual commercial " buy it!, its cheap and too fun, u get it nearly assembled and ready to race.. :))
I already made similar works in the past, on planes and on alfa romeo cars, and being committed works I only start when enegeneers tells me ok this is all we got. now its in your hands, and models came to life.
I neaither found around an ugly blueprint of this little lovely american car.SO I am making it by myside,and it takes time.

No hurry, but seems really nobody cares of this little devil car,probably cause many never seen it racing for real. It is pure fun and real real racing, since many years.

I got my target till now. excluding Yelo friend seems nobody (still) made anything about it.

stay tuned... ;)

exhaust smoke
12-19-2012, 04:07 AM
I don't know too much about this car, but I have seen on Ebay (US) that there are some '34 Ford Slammer kits in 1/25th scale made by AMT that seem fairly close to the Legend car.

With a bit of conversion and scratching, this could be an easier option?

lovegt40
12-19-2012, 05:30 AM
thank u, but it looks quite bigger and longer compared to Legend (also cause this slammer has a big v8 under the bonnet).
similar car btw, seems as a older similar serie from the 80s. dunno the quality of such AMT models of the period..

Add your comment to this topic!