Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Passkey III problem on 2002 Grand Prix SE

paw510
12-08-2012, 11:09 PM
I thought my "engine will not turn over" problem might be an air sensor problem or something, but I recently came across a passkey thread on the PK3 and figured that this was my problem. I attempted the 10 minute reset trick this morning (only 1 cycle) and the car started right up afterward. I thought I was in the clear. (Not the case...)

Unfortunately my wife drove it to the store and the car would not start again when she got in to come home. I drove out to meet her and attempted the reset method again, but this time to no avail.

I tried the 3 cycle method that I read about also, but to no avail. I noticed during my last attempt that the little security light isn't even blinking anymore. (It is constantly off, not on at all...)

I pulled almost all the fuses out of the box inside the engine compartment and they all look to be good. (I didn't have my DMM so I couldn't test them, just a visual...)

What can I try next to bypass this passkey system so I can mobilize the car?

Advice?

aleekat
12-09-2012, 12:25 AM
well, it sounds like you are convinced it's in the security system. But you gave no details other than no security light now. Does it turn over, not turn over, dash lights on/off? etc.

paw510
12-09-2012, 03:31 AM
Dash lights come on just fine, but the engine does not turn over when you turn the ignition to the crank position. (Just like before when I tried the initial 10 minute passkey bypass trick that worked.)

Of course yesterday morning I heard a clicking noise sounding like it was coming from near where the air intake (large ribbed hose) meets the top part of the engine while the key was in the "on" position waiting for the 10 minutes to go by.

Last night when the car wouldn't start, (the second time I tried the bypass trick), that noise was not present... I don't know if that is another symptom (if it has any relevance) or not...

I also don't know if I messed up the computer by taking most all of the fuses out or not, but I figured I would check them visually (and none seemed burnt). I don't think I had to do any resets to the computer after changing the battery several years ago, so I wouldn't think pulling fuses and replacing them would have caused something to go haywire with the computer, would it?

I was going to give it another try this morning when it gets light outside, or try any other ideas you good folks could come up with... Otherwise I'm going to have to call a wrecker to get it out of the shopping center parking lot...

fantastic
12-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Have you checked your battery connections?? Make sure corrosion is not present and further make sure the connections are good and snug.

I've had this happen to me. My positive wire connection was not good enough and all I got was dash lights when I turned the key on. Makes you think you have power and didn't start up everytime. Played the sit and wait game you're playing LOL

The connection needs to be good enough to transfer the power from the battery to the starter. I pulled mine off, cleaned the connectors and the battery terminals, reconnected and was good to go....Not sure if this is your actual problem but worth looking into.

Tech II
12-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Couple questions:

Does the engine crank, but doesn't start?

Or it doesn't crank at all?

You are saying PassKey 3......are you sure? Sure it is not PassLock?

PassKey I and II use a resistor pellet on the ignition key.....PassKey III has PK3 stamped on the key(it has a transponder in the head of the key)......PassLock is just a blank key.....check your owner's manual.....

Check for "P" and "B" codes?

Any after market remote start or anti-theft devices installed?

Add your comment to this topic!