powersteering not working

big white bufflo
12-04-2012, 08:11 PM
95 explorer 4.0 4x4 how do i tell if its the pump or the rack is bad .if i look in the pump there is no fluid movement .i have no power steering at all no leak any info helpful

shorod
12-04-2012, 11:46 PM
So the steering is difficult, but you're still able to turn the steering, correct? If you crank the steering all the way to one of the stops does the power steering pump make a moaning noise? If the pump is not working, you probably won't hear the moan at the steering stop.

-Rod

big white bufflo
12-05-2012, 06:04 PM
its has no power assist at all the pump make no noise from stop to stop the fluid dont move at all in the pump i got this cheap it a clean unit but i dont want to throw bad money at it . it is worth the money to put a rack or a pump on but i want to save the work

shorod
12-05-2012, 06:46 PM
I trust you've confirmed that the belt is turning the power steering pump and the pump pulley is not just spinning on the pump shaft, correct?

I suppose you could try disconnecting the pressure and return lines from the power steering pump and loop them together, then start the engine and see if you get movement of the fluid in the pump. You could also disconnect the lines at the rack and make sure one or both of the lines are not plugged. That would be much easier to do with the lines disconnected from both ends.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!