Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'98 lumina cold transmission

macgyverman1123
11-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Hi guys!

I'm new to the forum, and not much of a car guy, but I was wondering if y'all could help me out.
I have an old '98 lumina ls 3.1, and on a cold morning, when you start it up, the transmission won't engage.
When you put it in drive, and press the gas pedal, the engine revvs, but it won't go.
To make it go, you have to put it in neutral or park, and really revv the engine.
then, if you put it in drive is goes.
any idea whats wrong with it?
should I try an engine block heater?

thanks guys!

-John

Tech II
11-29-2012, 09:36 PM
If the fluid level is ok, chances are, your seals are getting old and hard......as the fluid temp rises, they expand and seal better....

Could try using something like Lucas transmission additive....If fluid is due for service, would try a flush and filter and additive....

Schurkey
11-30-2012, 09:11 AM
And/or the filter is plugging, so the pump can't draw fluid through the filter when the fluid is cold and thick.

Truth is, I have a Trailblazer that won't go into reverse when cold, forward is just fine--and I have no idea what's wrong. Trans works great 9 months of the year, but can't find reverse first thing in the morning when cold.

macgyverman1123
11-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Well, it is not the fluid, I just replaced the fluid and the filter.
When you put it in drive it won't go, and you have to put it in park and really gun it, usually to 4-5k rpm b4 it goes.
the engine sounds really amazingly healthy for 160k, but it just won't go.
do you think that I sould try an engine block heater to keep the fluid warm?
or is there such thing as a transmission heater?

Schurkey
11-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Well, it is not the fluid, I just replaced the fluid and the filter.
When you put it in drive it won't go, and you have to put it in park and really gun it, usually to 4-5k rpm b4 it goes.
the engine sounds really amazingly healthy for 160k, but it just won't go.
do you think that I sould try an engine block heater to keep the fluid warm?
or is there such thing as a transmission heater?
A block heater will do a very poor job of heating the transmission. Some heat would get to the transmission; and some might come in when the engine starts and the somewhat-heated fluid from the cooler is pushed into the transmission. Might work, might not. I wouldn't count on it.

There are magnetic heaters that would stick to the pan; problem is they aren't secure enough to stay put over potholes. It'd be a real PITA to climb under the car every morning to disconnect the heater.

Please tell me you aren't revving a cold engine to 4K every morning. Woof.

Did the trans not engage gears when cold BEFORE the filter and fluid change?

macgyverman1123
11-30-2012, 02:05 PM
the transmission was having this problem before I changed the fluid.
I hoped the change would fix it, but it didn't.
yes, I am gunning it, but it seems ok, then engine is very stable.
what should I do?

Tech II
11-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Just let the engine idle up to normal operating temp.......the tranmission fluid will gradually warm up.....this will make seals/o-rings expand.....

Since you have done a filter/fluid change already, you will have to remove some of the tranny fluid to add Lucas additive.....this can be done with a long tube(can buy clear tubing from your local hardware store), and attach it to any kind of suction device, like a hand pump, and suck out enough fluid to add the Lucas treatment(just push the tubing down your fill tube down to the tranny pan)......this will help hardened seals and o-rings....may help your problem......

j cAT
12-02-2012, 04:29 PM
the transmission was having this problem before I changed the fluid.
I hoped the change would fix it, but it didn't.
yes, I am gunning it, but it seems ok, then engine is very stable.
what should I do?

because this has occured before , I will say to you check the fluid on level ground in neutral/park after the vehicle being driven at about 10 miles in the colder weather. the fluid should be solid not with air bubbles and be in the full mark area. this is how to get the level correct. if the level is low you will get your type problem.

when the fluid /filter was replaced was any material in the pan ?

did you use dexron VI which is now the approved fluid for your vehicle.

on the use of additives these do work with seal issues. as the dexron III fluid degrades which is why it is no longer a GM fluid used , the seals do get hard. I use transmedic to these old dexron III fluid trannys to help reduce this problem and it does work but it does take some time.

do not rev engine when cold or you will spin a crank bearing.

dexron VI does flow better in colder temps less slippage higher pressures.

Add your comment to this topic!