Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alclad Black Base

88Porsche944
11-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Thinking about using the Alcad Gloss Black base as a color coat, decals then Alclad Gloss Klear Kote. Thoughts?

Trevor

cjsbosox
11-28-2012, 03:17 PM
I had bad results with it. So I would say no

roymattblack
11-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Personally, forget Alclad.
It never dries, marks if you even look at it sternly, and is ok if you can put up with the fact it fades to a dull finish after a year or so.
If you want a good black, use Halfords gloss black acrylic - it does what it says on the tin............

Roy.

88Porsche944
11-28-2012, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=
If you want a good black, use Halfords gloss black acrylic - it does what it says on the tin............

Roy.[/QUOTE]

Any idea where to find it in the US?

SmokeyR67
11-28-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm one of the lucky ones and have never had a problem with Alclads base, but I wouldn't use it as a colour coat.

Halfords is a car parts store in the UK, so it's just aerosol auto paint. Tamiya's black would be a good option if, like me, you've had bad experiences with full size car paint being too hot.

lezdep
11-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Tamiya's TS14 works great for me. Dries hard, polishes well and I can pretty much get gloss finish straight from the air-brush. I decant it.

MPWR
11-29-2012, 10:50 PM
I think the most important factor would be if this is a medium you already know and love. If you have used Alclad's black base on other builds and marveled at how well it came out before overspraying it with chrome, then it should do just fine by itself under clearcoat. But if you haven't ever used it and loved the results, I would probably recommend something you're already familiar with. TS14 over Tamiya grey primer is of course a great option.

POPSICLE_PETE
12-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Well first of alclad base if fine within about a month of buying it. Then it will start to develope a skin at the top. You can puncture it and mix the paint and still use that but I cannot help but think that a bunch of the paint drying at the surface would affect the properties of the remaining paint. Also the dried paint will make the cap stick and before long it will shatter in attempts to free it. Its a good paint but I wish it was sold in smaller quanities. Bah. Sorry to get off topic. What is this black used for? A body shell of just misc pieces? To get a good black body finish I have in the past applied black sandable primer , wetsanded smooth and dupont spray clear over that. For pieces I use plastic-coat gloss black in a can. But almost everyone will prefer something different. Try a few different things, but avoid enamels.

Add your comment to this topic!