Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

HELP selecting a car

Ab403
11-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Hello,
I’m thinking to buy a car as mine is very old and wants something better. I do lots of research online and read reviews but sometimes there is lots of marketing and everyone tries to promote his product, which is normal. I’m looking for some objective honest advises from people who have driven many cars and can give me their thoughts. I came up with a list of criterias that I feel describe what I like. I know I sound like I’m looking for the perfect car at the lowest price, might not be very realistic. Anyway here is the list more or less in priority order, with some flexibility in the order:
- Noise (wind ,road and engine), as quiet of a cabin as possible!
- Comfort : smooth ride and handling including suspension.
- Roomy interior (Leg room), Telescopic and tilting steering wheel (I’m 6’2”)
- Reliability
- Price
- Fuel economy
- 4 cylinders
- New or LOW mileage (in mint condition)
- Resale value
- Sunroof
- Back up camera
- Navigation system (wide screen, GPS, DVD ..etc)
- Heated seat
- Bluetooth
- Remote start
- Keyless entry
- Smart Key System (maybe the same as keyless entry ?!, I’m not expert in the wording, I just want one little thing that will be the start key and remote start without carrying too many of them)
- Push Button Start
- Heated door mirrors
- Tinted glass
- Color (Dark, black, ..etc)
- Power Adjustable Driver Seat
- Programmable garage door opener
- Dual zone automatic
- Noise elimination windshield
- 17" wheels or more
- Driver information centre, Trip computer, outside temperature.
- Wind deflector
- Mud flaps
- Spoiler
Some models that seem to look good and have some of that:
- Camry (particularly I like the look of the previous models 2011)
- Altima 2013
- Buick Verano
- I still have to test drive others like the Civic, Sentra, Fusion, Kizashi, Cruise..etc
Please feel free to give some candidate cars and why you feel each will suit my needs ?
I’m probably looking for a sedan or compact just because they’re more economic than the SUV’s ones. There is so many sedans and SUV that I like how they look like but the price and fuel economy is not there.
I will compile all the replies and come up with ideas.
THANK you very much in advance!.

Ray paulsen
11-24-2012, 03:43 AM
I appreciate buyers that do research online prior to purchase within reason, get to technical and end result will be total confusion, you got an extended shopping list, I therefore am surprised with your location being Calgary you left out AWD ?

Having driven thousand of vehicles over a few decades here is my priority in order if I was shopping

#1 Affordability Know your budget, paying cash, finance or lease do all the research you want, the moment the dollar signs go beyond affordability get off the surf, to many buyers visit dealerships and lets the emotions do the shopping.

#2 Handling You may have heard the expression " a car feels tight " when you test drive a car that feels like being part of you having passed every test " assuming knowing what to look for " then the vehicle is tight,,, myself - the dealer - online reviews or your friends cannot tell you that a car handles the way you like,,, you have to find that answer on your own

#3 Bells and Whistles I would love every option you mentioned and then some,,, but it's time to delete some if they don't fit in with affordability.

Summary,,, You neglected to mention a budget, also you mentioned resale, why ?

http://www.usedcartips.org/ (http://www.usedcartips.org/)

Ab403
11-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Ray, I was thinking 20k but I'll be happy with 25k as well if I get the best bargain with all the attributes I "would" like. As for the resale, it was more in case in a short term I decide to sell and get something else and in that sense I noticed a way big difference between let's say a Toyota and a dometic car. I tell you what I would drop the "resale" part, no big deal.

autopia11
11-26-2012, 05:43 AM
Well, sometimes reading reviews create confusion a lot so better to go with your priorities and do a little research.
BTW...I am using a Mercedes Benz for last 2 years and fully satisfied. You can check different models for this.

Ab403
11-27-2012, 12:05 AM
True, online reviews can get you very confused and could be subjective and could be marketing tools as well.

Today I went for a test drive with the Hyuandai Elantra and Sonata and honestly, what a surprise ! everything is super, style, options, roomy (even the Elantra)...the only down side is: cabin noise ! I was thinking if not that I can always get a used one and pay way less than a new one and still get all the options....
I even looked online into sound proofing, noise deadening thread....but that can get very complicated and not sure if it really work...but overall (other than the cabin noise), thumbs up for Hyuandai !

Ray paulsen
11-27-2012, 07:34 PM
4 cyl labours when you step on the pedal, and that means cabin noise.

Take any 4cyl for a highway spin followed by a 6cyl in same make ,,, the diff will be like night and day.

Example,,, test drive the Ford Fusion.

http://www.usedcartips.org/ (http://www.usedcartips.org/)

Ab403
11-29-2012, 01:39 PM
I will try one more time the Sonata and Elantra and see....

Ray paulsen
11-29-2012, 02:42 PM
I will try one more time the Sonata and Elantra and see....

Does that mean a less cabin noise 6cyl is not in the running ?

Ab403
11-29-2012, 10:50 PM
They don't have 6 cyl Sonata or Elantra. Plus I'm thinking there will be a noticible difference in the fuel consumption ?!

Ray paulsen
11-30-2012, 12:15 AM
They don't have 6 cyl Sonata or Elantra. Plus I'm thinking there will be a noticible difference in the fuel consumption ?!

Sorry if I did not respond in a manner that you fully understood, I knew your selected two choices were not available in 6cyl.

From a personal viewpoint the difference in gas consumption stepping up to a 6 cyl I would consider minor compared to the cost factor of vehicle in most cases, but with your selected choices we dont have that issue.

Ab403
11-30-2012, 12:18 AM
What cars would you suggest to drive test ?

Ray paulsen
11-30-2012, 01:10 AM
What cars would you suggest to drive test ?

If you asked that question to 10 people you would most likely be test driving 8 different cars,,,lol,,, so here is my 2 cents.

From all the info I have from you a Ford Fusion 6 cyl would be my personal choice,,, and if I had to choose between a 2013 4 cyl VS a used 6 cyl,,, it would most likely be the used one.

With being in Alberta I would also have a very strong consideration towards an Escape 6 cyl AWD

Ab403
12-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Ray, how would be the fuel consumption vs a sedan 4 cyl, I guess you can feel some difference. I agree with you though that Ford are solid vehicles and handle well on the road. I'm leaning toward a Sonate overall but not decided. One thing I like about the SUV is that they are a bit shorter than the sedan and of course can be used to carry things when needed.

Ray paulsen
12-02-2012, 08:43 AM
You mention at top of this thread that you done lots of research, I then assume that you have entered many mfg's websites build a car with options and compared cost factors along with incentives being cash finance or lease, these incentives come and go with some being to good to pass.

Fuel consumption is a big ticket with you so I wonder if you got a free canadian consumption guide to compare vehicle's, if not you can pick one up at any Natural Resources Canada or check out this link http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/programs/environment-fcp-fcguide-629.htm

Which model sonata are you leaning towards
http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/buildprice/step2_trims.aspx?model=SONATA&sitelink=tier1sonataENBuild%2B&%2BPrice%2BA%2BHyundai%2BSonata&gclid=CI70sMr4-7MCFehDMgodTTcAnQ

Ab403
12-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Not sure about the model but maybe the GLS as the other ones up just have extra such as the NAV and dual zones..etc... sometimes it doesn't justify the few extra thousands for me if there is no extra in the noise or handling .etc.
Dealers are closed on Sunday here, I'll have to do it after work or wait again to next week end.

Ab403
12-08-2012, 02:41 AM
I tried the Kia Optima today. Not bad, quite few options over what other manufacturers offer. I might go for one if i find a used one in a good shape and low mileage.

Add your comment to this topic!