Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Short wheel base vs. Long wheel base

loesch8102
06-05-2003, 10:02 PM
Advantages? Disadvantages?

Just curious cause I noticed today that my Integra has roughly the same overall dimensions as a new Porshe 911 except the Porsche's wheel base is a lot shorter. Don't get me wrong. I know my car is no Porsche, I am just wondering why it's the only major difference in size.

Neutrino
06-06-2003, 01:26 AM
I believe that a shorter wheelbase is better for a sharp turning response but a longer wheelbase will give you more stability...the trick in a car's hadling i belive is finding a balance between the two....

for example many people comented that the longer wheelbase on the g35 coupe was an improvement over the short wheelbase on the 350z therefore making the car more easily controlable.

FYRHWK1
06-06-2003, 02:09 AM
the short will also have issues at speed with turning too sharply, much more likely to kick the rearend out and slide, big reason why alot of sucessful rally cars are short wheelbased cars due to their need to slide easily and controllably. Theres also aerodynamic issues as a shorter car will have a tendency to have a worse profile, I believe the correct ratio for minimal drag would be 4:1, as in 4 times as long as the car is high, but the wheelbase can be short with a long car profile so thats not a huge issue.

2strokebloke
06-06-2003, 11:27 AM
A long wheelbase will usually provide a better ride, and in my own opinion makes low speed manuevering easier (such as parking in tight spaces)

454Casull
06-06-2003, 09:11 PM
Shorter cars have a lower polar moment of inertia. This means they can spin about their center of gravity more easily.

Of course, pitch increases.

tigermiata
06-10-2003, 07:46 AM
I suspect that, for any particular length, a rear-engined car might automatically have a shorter wheelbase. The length of the engine and transmission would be a factor.

454Casull
06-10-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by tigermiata
I suspect that, for any particular length, a rear-engined car might automatically have a shorter wheelbase. The length of the engine and transmission would be a factor.
How so (referring to your first point)?

Add your comment to this topic!