Page updated on 11-19-2017

how to prepare white metal for paint?

turbothirtytwo
11-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Hi guys

I want to ask how do you prepare white metal kits before painting? I started MFH yoshi K9 and parts have som rough surface due to 3D printing the master and other imperfections due to used material, what primer should work best and other good hints...:icon16: thanx

roymattblack
11-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Good old car primer but for the 'porous' kind of white metal (thousands of minute 'dimples' in the surface) I rub Superglue into the surface.
You need to be QUICK unless you want a white metal component stuck to your finger!
Let it dry, sand it with 600 grade or finer, then car primer.
I've built dozens of white metal kits - Superglue then primer works every time.
B.T.W..... The Superglue trick works on porous or rough resin body shells too.

Roy.

turbothirtytwo
11-19-2012, 02:59 PM
thanx for the tip mate, car primer from spray can dont works for me, it goes down just with handling, but as you write superglue can do the trick?

Vric
11-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Mr. Hobby metal primer works greak (liquid and in spraycan)

turbothirtytwo
11-20-2012, 11:28 PM
thanx Vric

sjelic
11-22-2012, 02:47 AM
I have tried more or less everything, still, Tamiya primers from can work the best in my case. The problem is that no matter how thick you go it always tend to be rough. CA trick is very good but I dont like it since it is very hard to blend the line that it makes due to different material hardness (glue and WM), so it is very good for small surfaces (again my experience).
I do it like this, first tamiya primer (grey if you have), let it dry, then Mr. Hobby surface primer through airbrush where you can put more on places you need, then sand everything (even burning down to metal on same places) and then primer again (Tamiya). I do this only on parts that are to be mirror like smooth (spoilers etc), engine parts do not need that treatement, you use wire brush to clean the metal and then primer, then some gloss black that will even surface in a good way and then alclad or some other "real metal".
Basicaly, if you send and wire brush clean the parts, they will end up looking good without any putty or CA glue.

turbothirtytwo
11-22-2012, 01:43 PM
thank you very much Sasa, this is what I need because when I want to prepare some surface I need to sand it and metal primer is out of point coz I will burn trough it anyway

Add your comment to this topic!