Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 alero coolant over flow

ariel
11-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Hello
I need help I have a 99 alero. The temp runs right above the mid point and I get coolant over flowing out of the over flow tube. I have bought 2 caps and still the same problem. I have bleed the system thinking it was air trapped in the system after repairing a small heater hose. I thought that was the problem at first but I have repaired it and replaced the cap. But i'm still getting coolant coming out of the over flow tube.
Thank You in advance

Tech II
11-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Which engine?

ariel
11-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Which engine?
its the 3.4L. about 4 years ago I had to change all the gaskets for the intake. at that time I flushed the dexcool out and refilled with regular anti-freeze.
Thanks

Tech II
11-19-2012, 10:53 AM
When you say cap, are we talking rad cap or reservoir cap?

On cold engine, checked coolant level? Is it low? Have you been adding coolant?

Checked cooling fan operation?

Does the gage approach the red when driving down the highway? Are there Wild temp swings?

ariel
11-25-2012, 11:11 AM
When you say cap, are we talking rad cap or reservoir cap?

On cold engine, checked coolant level? Is it low? Have you been adding coolant?

Checked cooling fan operation?

Does the gage approach the red when driving down the highway? Are there Wild temp swings?

Hello TechII
Sorry I didn't get back to you. As for the cap I mean the cap on the reservoir. Yes I have had to add some coolant because it leaks out the over flow tube. I did a pressure test for leaks and found that the tank was cracked I replaced it but still get coolant coming out of the overflow tube. car runs cooler and yes the fans are working.
Thank You
Ariel

Add your comment to this topic!