Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 K1500 - Drove it to dealership for program, left on a tow truck. Help!

thetandycollector
11-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Ok all, this is a customers vehicle, a 97 K1500 X-cab stepsize Z-71 5.0/Auto. This truck came in for a new motor about two months ago, installed, ran fine except for a nagging P1345 code "cam/crank correlation." Drove it to the local Chevy dealership to be flashed and adjusted.... they called the next morning and told me to send a wrecker. Apparently when they got the correlation right, now the truck is running so far out of time it's rediculous.

Machine shop that built the motor said replace injector module. Did so, no dice. Then, it was the timing chain. Very slack, replaced, no difference. Still bucks when trying to start and in the rare occasion it will start it doesn't have the power to do jack diddly. Sent truck back to GM on a wrecker, and it came back on the wrecker once again, GM swearing they had done all they could and the programming was correct, and asking if I'd like it to be repaired by their shop. NO. They said when it got there, even though it was running nearly perfectly, it was 20% off, and when they adjusted it, the had to take the distributor out and turn it two "clicks." As far as I knew, once cylinder one TDC was identified, The computer took care of the timing...... distributor wasn't supposed to be turned, was it?

I don't know what to do, any and all help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Bill S.

777stickman
11-16-2012, 10:54 PM
The P1345 code means the dist was a tooth off one way or the other. Need to install the dist correctly, which is easily found on a Google search. Once that's done you need a scan tool to access the VCM and set "cam retard" or "cam offset" to 0 +/- 2 degs at 2000 rpm. When the dist has been installed correctly it can be turned slightly to get this 0 deg spec. Think of this as "base timing". When it's done then the VCM takes over the timing.

Another issue could be the timing chain is a tooth off.

Play with it and stay away from this dealer. Sounds like they screwed up bad.

And there is no "flashing" involved!!

Schurkey
11-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Ran when delivered to dealership.

Did not run after dealership "fixed" engine.

DEALERSHIP PAYS FOR EVERYTHING; including rental vehicle and multiple towing charges.

j cAT
11-17-2012, 01:11 PM
any vehicle this old you would never have the DEALERSHIP do any work.

they do not have any repair info on most out of warrantee work. most GM part changers at the dealership only stay a few years.

you should have asked a local repair shop for some help with this one.

my question is who supplied the new/rebuilt 5.0L engine ?

j cAT
11-17-2012, 01:25 PM
my guess is the distributor and or the distributor gear is worn. that is all it takes to throw this code.

could be timing chain loose and the crank sensors etc. but most times its the distributor/gear.

so is this the original 1997 distributor ?

Schurkey
11-17-2012, 02:36 PM
you should have asked a local repair shop for some help with this one.

Ok all, this is a customers vehicle, a 97 K1500 X-cab stepsize Z-71 5.0/Auto. This truck came in for a new motor about two months ago, installed, ran fine except for a nagging P1345 code "cam/crank correlation."
The way I read this, he IS a "local repair shop"; that subcontracted repair to the Stealership due to lack of tools/knowledge.

Again,
Ran when brought in.

Didn't run after being "repaired".

Dealership pays.

j cAT
11-17-2012, 03:05 PM
The way I read this, he IS a "local repair shop"; that subcontracted repair to the Stealership due to lack of tools/knowledge.

Again,
Ran when brought in.

Didn't run after being "repaired".

Dealership pays.

around here most repair shops will help each other out.

I do agree that it did run going in . dealership is not being managed correctly.

thetandycollector
11-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Ok, sorry for taking so long to reply. It's been a bit of a hectic day around here, for sure.

To answer a lot of these posts:

Firstly, I know what the code definition is, I've come across it before, and I have Mitchell1 ProDemand. However, Stickman, this districbutor cannot be turned. This is a Vortec engine, the distributor is in fixed position. In theory, and in a perfect scenario, the "enhanced spark control" module should be able to correct this, so long as the distributor base timing is correct. If on cylinder one at TDC and the button points to cyl one marking on the cap, how far off could it be? Dealership claims it was two teeth off. This is impossible as far as I can tell, because it won't even run if it is two teeth off.

I know the cam retard needs to be set by a scan tool. I had a GM TechII up until last year when my shop was broken into. It was my understanding that this setting could not be set by just any scantool, since my Genisys and Pegysis are both unable to set it. Mind you this could be because I was too cheap to pay for some of the modules, but I digress.

AND, I will say the dealership was kind enough to let me use their TechII to verify their data. According to their scantool, cam/crank sensor is dead on.

Yes, to several of the posters, I know it's a bad idea to take vehicles to the Stealership for service when they are nearly fifteen years old. Only reason my 93' Allante' is serviced by GM is because it always has been since new. I trusted them to do a good job on this one because all of the work on my Caddy is been ok.

And yes, I am a valid mechanic shop. I've got a tax ID number, LLC agreement, employees, the whole nine yards. Last Chance Service - (417) 678-4800.

The distributor is a brand new GM Performance distributor, with a gold cap and rotor from Carquest. All installed 5/2012.

And for the person who mentioned it, the dealership has, as of today, paid for the tows, and refunded a portion of the balance.

Who supplied this engine? :
Marty's Auto and Machine - Aurora, MO
The egine is perfect. Was built 1/2012, Installed 4/2012. Marty is an excellent machinist and I have been very impressed with his work. Well reknowned in the area, and comes highly recommended by just about everyone.

UPDATE:
Customer request: Install a new timing chain. Did so, timing cogs are spot on. Crank but no start. Engine bucks when starting. Did start once at half throttle, ran long enough to flash check engine light. Scanned ECM to find "Random Multiple Misfire, and codes for misfires on every individual cylinder.

Going out into the shop right now to check and reset the distributor to base time and see if it starts, and to see if it shows conditions to set P1345.

In retrospect, do not trust a Genysis or Pegysis, these scan tools are crap. Probably buying a new Launch Daigun Monday, because it literally runs the TechII software over an emulator. Will make bullshit like this mess never happen again (I Hope.)

777stickman
11-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Wow, sorry to question your knowledge which definitely did not show up in the original post and is somewhat lacking in the 2nd!! I'll make a point to not do it again for sure.

777Stickman---Over & out & done.

thetandycollector
11-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Wow, sorry to question your knowledge which definitely did not show up in the original post and is somewhat lacking in the 2nd!! I'll make a point to not do it again for sure.

777Stickman---Over & out & done.

Sincerely sorry to have offended you! Its been a long day and I have been a slight bit short with people. Simply when you indicated that it was easy enough to turn the distributor, I thought you may have thought this was one of the tbi engines..... I should have known better, my apologies. This is what happens when I spend my day dealing with people who eat stupid and ignorant for breakfast.

j cAT
11-18-2012, 08:52 AM
I can understand your frustration with all of this.

when you remove the GM performance distributor check it out. it is quite possible the gear is damaged. this does happen.

the dealership is full of crap with being off 2 teeth.

Add your comment to this topic!