Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SCCA ClubRally Recommendations

laxmaster7
06-05-2003, 09:25 PM
I'm interested in joing the SCCA and participating in their ClubRally events, and I'm trying to decide what sort of car to buy to modify and use. I need something cheap and low insurance (e.g. Ford Focus, Honda Civic, etc) but im not sure which would be the most appropriate for rally duty. Also, any ideas on simple mods i could use would be great.

freakray
06-19-2003, 06:54 AM
If a Civic hasn't got the torque, then neither does a Focus....

Welcome to AF Laxmaster:cool:

It really depends on what sort of events you intend on competing in as well as how much you budget on a car.
At a starter level on the US market you could probably go for an Impreza 2.5RS and benefit in several areas from plenty of power for the starter as well as having an AWD chassis to start with.

FWD is fine to start, but having driven both in rally conditions I definitely prefer the AWD.

laxmaster7
06-19-2003, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the info, but I live in the middle of redneck Georgia, and the nearest used Impreza 2.5 for sale that I know of is about 500 mi away. I figured the Civic wouldnt have the torque, though. The Focus would be lacking in power, but has a brilliant suspension stock. I think Markko Martin has already proved the potential of the Focus(Acropolis anyone?), but there have got to be more options than just the Suby, the Civic, and the Focus; does anyone know of some other options I have? No Evos (too expensive)

laxmaster7
06-19-2003, 04:41 PM
oh yeah and for rally and street use, would a supercharger or a turbo be better, or does it depend on a lot of other stuff?

freakray
06-19-2003, 05:03 PM
OK, lets already clear one thing up, the Focus you get in the USA is NOTHING like the one you see Markko and Francois driving, so comparing the 2 is really like comparing oranges and lemons.....

As a Focus owner, I can tell you now that it can't compare to a 2.5RS (I have one of those too).
The Focus suspension is not strong and robust like the rally car which uses specific suspension for gravel events like the Acropolis Rally, in fact I don't think the stock set up would last long at all considering how it handles bumpy roads alone.....
Frankly, I don't think the Focus suspension is as strong as they would have you believe.

I think a turbo charger would be much better and with correct set up can be more responsive.

Did you consider something like an Eclipse GSX or Talon TSI?
Better considerations than the Civic or Focus and already with a turbo and AWD.
I have driven a TSI and it is very responsive and quick.

laxmaster7
06-19-2003, 07:18 PM
I forgot the Eclipse/Talon- good point. The WRC reference was more of a joke than anything, though. (i'm not that stupid) And my views on the focus suspension come from experience, not the Speed channel. But i dont doubt that the Suby would be better, its just that Foci are much easier to come by where i live. And as for the blower vs turbo, I know that WRC cars use turbos, but it seemed that the linear delivery of torque a good blower gives you might be better suited to rallying. Could be wrong though. Thanks for the advice freakray

freakray
06-20-2003, 06:38 AM
The teams in the WRC have used both turbo and super chargers, I think the fact that they all use turbo chargers now speaks for itself.

laxmaster7
06-20-2003, 12:25 PM
as for the eagle/talon, would a first-gen or second be best suited to rallying? also, dont the eclipse and the new evo use the same basic engine? i thought i read somewhere they both use the 4G63

freakray
06-20-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by laxmaster7
as for the eagle/talon, would a first-gen or second be best suited to rallying? also, dont the eclipse and the new evo use the same basic engine? i thought i read somewhere they both use the 4G63

I would go with the second generation either way, I think they share some of the transmission, but not all.

freakray
06-20-2003, 11:16 PM
Tso,
I agree an early generation Lancer would be preferential, but they just aren't available in the USA.

Considering that starting out in rally you're likely to want to be replacing a lot of front ends and rear corners it's probably better to get something like the Talon or Eclipse which has body parts and other spares easily available.

laxmaster7
06-22-2003, 05:34 PM
freak rays got a good point on the replacement parts thing; parts do seem to be pretty plentiful for them. and yeah, i would like an early lancer, but ive never seen one in the us, and i really dont wanna go through the hassle of importing one. just out of curiosity though, about how much would one be?

laxmaster7
06-22-2003, 08:42 PM
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! SUBARU WINS CYPRUS!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
ahem...excuse me

RallyRaider
06-23-2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by laxmaster7
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! SUBARU WINS CYPRUS!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
ahem...excuse me

yea but wait till next year the evo will dominate

Who said that? :iceslolan

Psst... Subaru swept the podium in PWRC too, the Evos must have shAnted themselves.:lol:

laxmaster7
06-23-2003, 04:23 PM
tso...thanks for the info
trip permits? please explain
you are right about the building going way over budget...always happens

and rally raider...we'll see

freakray
06-23-2003, 05:22 PM
It's all very well listening to Tso like he is the know-all, but it may pay you to take note that the SCCA runs its rallies on a rather different basis to its European counterparts.
Before you go wasting your time chasing about for things he mentions are necessary in the UK, find out what is necessary in the USA.

As somebody that has competed in XC mountain bike racing at an international level, I can tell you that every countries rules are different and every country requires different permits and regulations to be met to compete.

laxmaster7
06-23-2003, 07:19 PM
duly noted

laxmaster7
06-23-2003, 07:26 PM
could i use a cold air intake at all in a rally car? i was just thinking that since they put them filter down so low to the ground that it might get as much dirt as it gets air....any thoughts?

laxmaster7
06-24-2003, 09:37 PM
i wasnt concerned w/ the legality of a cold air intake so much as the feasibility of it. on some rally cars it just isnt possible due to the amount of dirt that gets flung onto it.

do the production and production gt classes allow any sort of meaningful modifications at all? or is it limited basically to safety equipment? i figure this would probably be the cheapest class to compete in. correct me if im wrong

laxmaster7
06-26-2003, 07:49 PM
so whats the difference between production and pgt? displacement? and what sort of intakes do wrc and gr A cars use?
32 mm restrictor? thats crap.
so if i did modify the engine, would that put me in group 2/5, or group n? group n is the one that is closest to FIA rules, isnt it?

laxmaster7
06-26-2003, 07:53 PM
so if i did modify the engine, would that put me in group 2/5, or group n?
i mean minor modifications, not anything that would put me in open class.

freakray
06-26-2003, 08:00 PM
Laxmaster,
Something we have learned very quickly is that you honestly can't believe a thing Tso tells you, just read a couple of other threads in the Forum(NOT mine and Rally Argentina) and you will see this.

Your best option is to go on the SCCA website and look up the regulations regarding SCCA Rally, alternatively look up Subie Gal, she is a regular SCCA competitor and I can assure you she will be more than glad to help you get started as well as being a very reliable source of information (You can usually find her over in the Subaru Impreza forum).

Good Luck!!

Ray

freakray
06-27-2003, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Tso

argentina? what are you talking 'bout now?

Your supposed 2nd place in Group N you were claiming

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1030408#post1030408

Add your comment to this topic!