Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'96 LSS questions...

TCHRISD
11-15-2012, 06:23 PM
My car was throwing these codes. P1406 and P0108 codes..
I decided to change both O2 sensors (about 2 months ago) and now it is throwing these codes: P0140 and p1133.... seems these are both O2 sensor codes. What the heck? I sprayed elec component cleaner on both harnesses and still throwing codes.
In owning this vehicle for the past 2+ yrs I have changed almost every sensor, excluding the Cam sensor. Should I replace that one? The car will randomly surge when idling.

Also, now I have what appears to be a tranny pan leak and bought a new gasket for replacement. It says to not use gasket adhesive or cement to stick the gasket to the pan, just grease. What would yall recommend? could I use the non-hardening gasket sealer?

Tech II
11-16-2012, 06:45 PM
P1406 is an EGR pintle position code....P0108 is a MAP code, so why were O2 sensors replaced?

P1133 is for the front O2 sensor, and P0140 is for the rear one....the first one is insufficient switching(something like a vac leak could skew the output of the sensor to a lean condition).....the rear code says there is no activity at all......

Something like this, you want a scan tool to look at the O2 sensors to see what kind of signal you are getting...about the only thing you can do is a visual inspection....make sure the harnesses have not grounded out or have been cut or disconnected.....

Make sure you find the tranny leak....could be an axle seal that is dripping down to the pan, and looks like the pan(same thing with the fill tube seal).....if it is the pan gasket, it could be a loose bolt.....I have never seen a reuseable gasket leak.....I suppose it is possible if the bolt is overtorqued or the pan/gasket was hit by something.....like I said, the rubber gasket is reuseable and uses no sealant....

TCHRISD
11-17-2012, 12:09 AM
P1406 is an EGR pintle position code....P0108 is a MAP code, so why were O2 sensors replaced?

P1133 is for the front O2 sensor, and P0140 is for the rear one....the first one is insufficient switching(something like a vac leak could skew the output of the sensor to a lean condition).....the rear code says there is no activity at all......

Something like this, you want a scan tool to look at the O2 sensors to see what kind of signal you are getting...about the only thing you can do is a visual inspection....make sure the harnesses have not grounded out or have been cut or disconnected.....

Make sure you find the tranny leak....could be an axle seal that is dripping down to the pan, and looks like the pan(same thing with the fill tube seal).....if it is the pan gasket, it could be a loose bolt.....I have never seen a reuseable gasket leak.....I suppose it is possible if the bolt is overtorqued or the pan/gasket was hit by something.....like I said, the rubber gasket is reuseable and uses no sealant....

Well once I changed the O2 sensors the older codes don't show up, only the O2 sensor codes now. I just thought it might help changing those O2 sensors. I have looked at the wire and the harnesses as well as spraying them down with cleaner.
The tranny pan gasket was a cork like one. When I removed it , it just fell apart. The new one is a rubber like material. I noticed the tranny pan screws came out very easily.

Tech II
11-17-2012, 01:17 PM
On a '96, if it was cork, someone did a tranny service before, and didn't reuse the rubber one.....

TCHRISD
11-17-2012, 03:45 PM
On a '96, if it was cork, someone did a tranny service before, and didn't reuse the rubber one.....
Yeah , I had it rebuilt about 2 yrs ago

Add your comment to this topic!