Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

tahoe tcase problems

cstrand
11-15-2012, 07:23 AM
i have a 99 tahoe with a a 4l60e trany and a 246 transfer case. can i swap out my 246 with a 236 t-case? a guy told me no cause of the different gear ratios but i dont think that will make a difference really, i dont know.

j cAT
11-16-2012, 08:06 AM
i have a 99 tahoe with a a 4l60e trany and a 246 transfer case. can i swap out my 246 with a 236 t-case? a guy told me no cause of the different gear ratios but i dont think that will make a difference really, i dont know.

the np236 is for the blazer . so you think it will hold up in a tahoe ?

I doubt even if it is do able it would work for any amount of time.

repair the 246 and save yourself alot of trouble and expense.

change your trac II fluid every 30,ooomi. also do not use 4wd of any position on dry solid pavement.

cstrand
11-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Well here's my situation, the reaction shell in my trany broke, I only got first and third. I went out and bought a trany with a transfer case attached to it. This trany and tcase are out of a 99 tahoe. I'm not sure exactly what model of tahoe. But the 246 tcase is known for shiting out so I thought maybe if the 236 would work id just put it and my new 4l60e in all at once. You're input on this would be greatly appreciated. I found the hard way not to use 4wheel on concrete, but it also makes that poping sound win I'm offroading. Can u plz explain the whole reason it even does that?

j cAT
11-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Well here's my situation, the reaction shell in my trany broke, I only got first and third. I went out and bought a trany with a transfer case attached to it. This trany and tcase are out of a 99 tahoe. I'm not sure exactly what model of tahoe. But the 246 tcase is known for shiting out so I thought maybe if the 236 would work id just put it and my new 4l60e in all at once. You're input on this would be greatly appreciated. I found the hard way not to use 4wheel on concrete, but it also makes that poping sound win I'm offroading. Can u plz explain the whole reason it even does that?

did you take this out of a 1999 tahoe ? or you were told this was taken out of a 1999 tahoe ?

4wd in any forum auto/low/hi is not allowed on dry solid pavement of any material. only off road or wet / snow covered pavement. if not required avoid using this in 4wd. not for long term high speed operation.

If you do a lot of off roading the transfercase requires alot of fluid changes like 30--40,ooomi. same with the tranny which now uses dexronVI not dexron III. GM does not approve of this fluid anymore.

the transfercases do have issues with the cases leaking. also the clutches will rapidly wear out with damaged trac II fluid.

IF THE FLUID IS BLUE YOU ARE GOOD. IF ITS BLACK ITS JUNK.

when the fluid turns to a grayish blue its time to replace fluid.

the other issue is the transfercase control switch if this vehicle has one.

over time the encoder can be a problem. there are circuits that supply feed back and also the motor/brake do fail. then you can have wire issues to the encoder motor. these wires are very small and break easy. replacing the components that you did /are doing can cause this issue .

cstrand
11-16-2012, 04:13 PM
I was told this sadly. But I'm just gonna use my 246. Thank u for the help. So what should I do if it continues to make that poping sound win I'm offroading?

j cAT
11-16-2012, 04:24 PM
I was told this sadly. But I'm just gonna use my 246. Thank u for the help. So what should I do if it continues to make that poping sound win I'm offroading?

the poping may be other issues. drive shaft joints is one .

front end components like ball joints. what is your greasing schedule ? off roading requires much more lubing. only use lithium based grease. try not to blow out those grease seals[not too much]

cstrand
11-16-2012, 04:34 PM
I was thinking it could be a cv shaft as well. But I have greased in a while. Last month I greased all the joints the havlkfe to do with the steering

Add your comment to this topic!