Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

locker?

Throbbin Rods
11-07-2012, 10:53 AM
I recently purchased a 2002 Suburban with a 5.3 motor. I put a used rear axle in due to totalled carrier bearings. Both wheels now spin all of the time. Is this a locker or a limited slip? How do these work mechanically, ie: the springs and the brackets, are there clutch plates, etc. Is there a fix or do I need it overhauled?
Thanks for any input
Bill

gmtech1
11-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Sounds like you installed a locking diff. This one combines the limited slip with the ability to "lock" the two axles together on wheel slip. The locking function activates when one rear wheel spins at a 100rmp or more than the other side using flyweights on a governor that will engage a locking bracket. Yes, there are clutches in there also so make sure to use the correct fluid. Yours requires 75-90 synthetic GM part# 12378557

j cAT
11-07-2012, 02:55 PM
I recently purchased a 2002 Suburban with a 5.3 motor. I put a used rear axle in due to totalled carrier bearings. Both wheels now spin all of the time. Is this a locker or a limited slip? How do these work mechanically, ie: the springs and the brackets, are there clutch plates, etc. Is there a fix or do I need it overhauled?
Thanks for any input
Bill

the locking diff is the eaton locker. with this diff you have, only one wheel drive until one of the rear wheels slips [rotates more than the other]. if you jack up one rear wheel you should be able to rotate the wheel . if you rotate too much with the other wheel on the ground then the diff will lock up. you would have with this diff no limited slip.

limited slip was used on cars like the impala SS /caprice REAR WHEEL DRIVE. these are limited in that you can rotate the rear wheel off the ground with the other wheel on the ground but with about 50 ft LBS of torque required. these diff's use friction modifier because you have clutches that must provide friction to get both wheels to provide traction . this is always working and wearing out.

the eaton locker only works when a slip is occuring. then you get a solid lock both wheels rotate as one NO SLIPAGE !

much is written about these .go to the eaton web site for more info.

j cAT
11-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks for any input
Bill

the most important thing to do is replace the diff oil by removal of the cover and then cleaning out the box/magnet etc . use minerial based paint thinner and a cloth. inspect for proper gear meshing.

if the rear axle is locked as one all the time , then this is a problem if you cannot rotate the wheel off the ground with more than 50 ft lbs of torque this is not proper .

if you can rotate with 50ft lbs of force then you put in a limited slip. that would not be good. very poor performance these limited slips.

Add your comment to this topic!