Page updated on 11-19-2017

Sparmax sb-88 spray booth

joelwideqvist
11-07-2012, 03:20 AM
Hi
Concidering to but a Sparmax sb-88 spray booth. I no longer have access to a modelling room and need to find a way to spray in other areas of the house.
I use quite a lot of laquer paint and have kids in the house so I want to know how effective the sparmax booth is on the fumes from laquer paints.

Any input?

/Joel

joelwideqvist
11-07-2012, 04:18 AM
To buy, not to but ;-)

935k3
11-07-2012, 12:14 PM
The Passche unit linked here http://www.amazon.com/Paasche-HSSB-22-16-Hobby-22-Inch-18-Inch/dp/B0038DANR6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ac_2 is a better buy. I have had one for 9 years and love it. It's the best value in spray booths you will find.

joelwideqvist
11-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the tip!
How does it look at the back? Possible to lead the vapours out with some hose?
How does it in your opinion deal with laquer paint?

Eric Cole
11-07-2012, 06:05 PM
I have this one, http://www.amazon.com/Paasche-HSSB-30-16-Hobby-30-Inch-18-Inch/dp/B001CTC4AW/ref=sr_1_37?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1352329301&sr=1-37 and love it. I use it in a spare bedroom that's been converted to my hobby room in our house. I use lacquers as well as other paints and my wife says you can't even smell the paint anywhere. That's as long as I keep the filters clean. If I let them get too dirty then, obviously, it doesn't remove the fumes/odors and overspray as well.

935k3
11-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the tip!
How does it look at the back? Possible to lead the vapours out with some hose?
How does it in your opinion deal with laquer paint?

The booth has a standard 4" hose outlet to hook up to a dryer vent. You can get a hose and vent kit at Walmart for $10 and mount the vent in a board to stick in an available window. I use Krylon Spray cans and airbrushing all types of paint and it works very well. It has a Dayton style motor which keeps the motor itself totally out of the airflow. I use cheap 20" X 20" furnace filters mounted ove the vent opening. I line the unit with white freezer paper and replace the paper instead of letting paint build up on the walls. This is the biggest booth on the market for the price and it's all stainless steel

joelwideqvist
11-08-2012, 02:25 AM
It sais on Paasche website that mentioned booths aren't suitable for flamable paints.
Isn't that exactly what laquer paint/thinner is...? At the same time it feels strange that a booth from a professional brand like Paasche should handle standard paints available on modelling/craft market.

935k3
11-08-2012, 06:33 AM
Paasche is just covering their rearend legally. Dayton style blowers are the safest style. The motor is not in the airway. Look get what you want, I am not answering another stupid question on this subject. I spray straight laquer thinner in it to clean my airbrush.

joelwideqvist
11-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Why are they stupid? I find them quite legit concidering I don't know anything about spray booths and don't want to spend my savings on anything that doesn't meet my needs.
Asking questions is what a forum is for right?

joelwideqvist
11-08-2012, 07:30 AM
But thanks anyhow on trying to explain for the retard :-)

Vric
11-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Look get what you want, I am not answering another stupid question on this subject. I spray straight laquer thinner in it to clean my airbrush.

WTF.. Talk about being rude for nothing. :jerking:

Archetype123
11-08-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm definitely in the same position as you are right now. Just moved into our first apartment, and the second bedroom has been converted to my guitar/RC/modelling room for lack of a better term!

I've looked at all sorts of spray booths, and those Paasche pieces seem pretty convincing for the price. A bit of an eyesore, but they seem to do the job. I've looked at cheaper plastic no name units on eBay, and they look like crap. If I had the cash, I'd definitely go for either one of these or an Artograph booth. Though I've heard that having the fan in the bottom of the unit causes some problems.

SmokeyR67
11-08-2012, 06:32 PM
G'Day Joel,

Sorry, but I can't give specific feedback on the Sparmax booth, but I own a couple of these http://haoshengnb.en.alibaba.com/product/652658441-213423434/portable_mini_spray_booth_with_airhose_HS_E420K.ht ml and find them to be great. The advantages for me are that they vent outside, they join together so spraying large models is a breeze (almost 1 metre) , the filters are easy to get a hold of and so where the booths.

I've sprayed most type of paints including laquer without any fires or explosions, so they seem to be safe, when using them fumes are almost non existant, they pack away into a managable package, the translucent sides allow a bit more light on the subject and they're easy to clean.

The only draw back is that the paint seems to dry faster so I have to spray a little closer to my target, but I don't even notice that anymore.

If you have anyother questions just ask, after all, as you say thats what a forum is all about.

Shane

Witto
12-19-2012, 07:32 AM
I have this one, http://www.amazon.com/Paasche-HSSB-30-16-Hobby-30-Inch-18-Inch/dp/B001CTC4AW/ref=sr_1_37?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1352329301&sr=1-37 and love it. I use it in a spare bedroom that's been converted to my hobby room in our house. I use lacquers as well as other paints and my wife says you can't even smell the paint anywhere. That's as long as I keep the filters clean. If I let them get too dirty then, obviously, it doesn't remove the fumes/odors and overspray as well.

I bought this one on eBay, because Paasche doesn't have italian distributors. Let see how much will be the customs duties...

It seems a good object, am I right?

Anybody can tell me what is the total electric power of the two electric fans? I need this datum to buy the right electric transformator from 220 V - 50 Hz to 110 V - 60 Hz.

Add your comment to this topic!