start prob 98 century

stripe
11-06-2012, 09:16 PM
I have intermittent no start prob.

Once in a while I turn the key and get nothing.(no click/no dim of lights/just effect from key turn./

I wiggle the wires to the starter and it will start.(sometimes 2-9 tries)

I think I need to change the wires.(power)

It looks like there are a lot of wires in this operation.

So it looks like the 2 wires (start sig. and other one) have been spliced.

Just wondering what is involved with this kind of wire change out.

Cheers
Viper1

maxwedge
11-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Before you do anything you need to check if you have power to the main feeds in the under hood fuse panel.

Tech II
11-07-2012, 09:19 AM
I would turn the key to "on", don't crank....observe the SECURITY light, it should go out after 3-5 seconds......if it does, then see if car cranks and runs....if it doesn't, then take the "repaired" wires apart and do a proper repair....

If the light stays on, chances are the wires to the ignition lock cylinder have a break in them....if insulation is intact, have an intermittant problem......when it breaks completely, it will never start....

Check for codes?

stripe
11-23-2012, 08:54 PM
I would turn the key to "on", don't crank....observe the SECURITY light, it should go out after 3-5 seconds......if it does, then see if car cranks and runs....if it doesn't, then take the "repaired" wires apart and do a proper repair....

If the light stays on, chances are the wires to the ignition lock cylinder have a break in them....if insulation is intact, have an intermittant problem......when it breaks completely, it will never start....

Check for codes?
I have now noticed that it only occurs when I turn off the car with the steering wheel turned .

I started it and stopped it over 100 times with the wheel pointing
straight ahead and no problems.

Then forgetting I turned it off with the wheel turned (no start)
But it did start right up after I wiggled the wires close to the starter.

I have no idea how the two could be related. only code is po442(minor leak)

Cheers
Viper1

DeltaP
11-24-2012, 10:56 AM
If I saw some kinda repair or splice work on the wiring harness thats right where I would go initially.As mentioned before take the "repaired" wires apart and repair properly.Old repair might have corroded or loosened up so repair properly with the correct guage wiring,inspect and/or replace the wiring end terminals to the starter with heat shrink terminals and seal all wiring repairs with heatshrink tubing not electrical tape.

Add your comment to this topic!