Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4wd/cv axle?

dirtautoguy12
11-05-2012, 11:06 PM
I have a 1996 Chevy Cheyenne 5.7 regular cab short bed and it seems like the 4wd just doesnt work like it used to or something a cant quite explain it.

Also, when I jack it up and spin the tire backwards it clicks not very loud but it clicks on both sides. Any ideas

fmx_guy
11-06-2012, 05:46 AM
is it not enguaging as fast, any sounds? need more input

Schurkey
11-06-2012, 10:06 AM
cant quite explain it.
If YOU can't explain it, how are WE supposed to help? Better try harder.

When the 4WD in my '88 quit working, it was the thermo actuator. I don't know if your newer vehicle uses this system or not.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1079737

dirtautoguy12
11-06-2012, 01:12 PM
To me it feels like one side engages better then the other or that it isn't engaging all the way.

j cAT
11-06-2012, 02:02 PM
I have a 1996 Chevy Cheyenne 5.7 regular cab short bed and it seems like the 4wd just doesnt work like it used to or something a cant quite explain it.

Also, when I jack it up and spin the tire backwards it clicks not very loud but it clicks on both sides. Any ideas

when the vehicle is in 4WD the front axle is locked as ONE. lifting the front right or left wheel you should not be able to rotate the tire.

also the front axle is connected to the rear axle in 4WD.

could be the locking actuator.

dirtautoguy12
11-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Ok so if input it in 4wd then jack it up I shouldn't be ale to turn the tire if its locking in right?

fmx_guy
11-06-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure about the 96 but my 94 actuator disengauges when it has no power. Maybe keep that in mind when testing. The newer models are different. You may possibly have have a condition that the actuator may be faulty (engages and disengages) which may result in an odd feeling in the drive train. But then again that was speculation. Keep us posted on your findings!

dirtautoguy12
11-06-2012, 10:41 PM
I did some experimenting today on my way home. I engaged it on slow turns to see if I could feel it grab the front end I could feel it but it was again like it wasn't tightly engaging ill look at it closer tomorrow.

fmx_guy
11-07-2012, 05:53 AM
If all else fails and if possible find a place where traction is somewhat low and put it in 4 wheel and ease it around you will find out quick what is happening. Im not saying go find a mud hole and stick it, just a controlled environment to use 4 wheel. like have means to get out! keep us posted.

j cAT
11-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Ok so if input it in 4wd then jack it up I shouldn't be ale to turn the tire if its locking in right?

thats how it works. all wheels are locked as one when in 4wd. thats why all tires must be the same size and wear on all hubs. thats why rotation / tire air pressures are important to long life trouble free 4WD operation.

when I park in my driveway and there is snow ice I place in 4wd. this prevents the vehicle from sliding when parking.

start vehicle place in 4wd try to rotate one of the front hubs. tap on the actuator,check the wires.

dirtautoguy12
11-07-2012, 04:29 PM
I tested the locking and both locked, however they both seemed to have some slack but seemed like something that could be normal.i then crawled under the truck and looked at the front drive line, and the transmission side u joint has about a quarter inch maybe A little more of slop in it but could that be causing what I have been feeling?

Schurkey
11-07-2012, 07:34 PM
the transmission side u joint has about a quarter inch maybe A little more of slop in it but could that be causing what I have been feeling?
Doesn't matter--gotta be fixed.

If that takes care of the original problem...great. If not, it still had to be done.

j cAT
11-08-2012, 06:46 AM
I tested the locking and both locked, however they both seemed to have some slack but seemed like something that could be normal.i then crawled under the truck and looked at the front drive line, and the transmission side u joint has about a quarter inch maybe A little more of slop in it but could that be causing what I have been feeling?

as mentioned before . replace any of the cv/ujoints with any wear/slop issues now.

after install grease these 2X a year with a high quaility lithium based grease.

Schurkey
11-08-2012, 12:47 PM
after install grease these 2X a year with a high quaility lithium based grease.
I quit putting greasable U-joints on my 4X4. I'm using sealed-for-life joints, and I have 1/10 the problems now.

j cAT
11-08-2012, 05:50 PM
I quit putting greasable U-joints on my 4X4. I'm using sealed-for-life joints, and I have 1/10 the problems now.

I use the national U joints USA. these all had grease fittings.

where did you get the sealed type ? manufacturer ?

never had problems with the greased type made in USA. never had to replace one. only the OEM sealed type. these where over 10 yrs old.

Schurkey
11-08-2012, 08:59 PM
I use the national U joints USA. these all had grease fittings.

where did you get the sealed type ? manufacturer ?

never had problems with the greased type made in USA. never had to replace one. only the OEM sealed type. these where over 10 yrs old.
Installed greaseable u-joints on rear drive shaft--differential end. They'd go about two years when I was using the truck a lot. When the second replacement wiped out (third u-joint) I had the local driveline shop check the shaft and they installed the sealed joints. (They did not find any shaft problems other than the wiped joint)

I don't know for sure what brand the sealed joint was. Might have been "Precision"; but could have been Neapco. Too many years ago...

j cAT
11-09-2012, 07:14 AM
the replacement of U joints can be distructive to the shaft ears. also the pressing in of the new joint.

I have installed quite a few on much larger transportation vehicles than these little trucks. having a press and controlled removal/install usually insures a good repair.

the use of chinese joints is now a problem.

greasing of the joints does keep them working . most forget about it .

before winter sets in they are greased for sure.

dirtautoguy12
11-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Hey guys it snowed today like a foot overnight and it's still windy and nasty and I don't have a shop, but soon as I get the chance I will look further into this.

dirtautoguy12
11-12-2012, 08:21 PM
So I took my truck hunting this weekend in the snow and the 4wd seemed to work fine for the most part however it was kind of hard to get it to shift into four wheel drive,I really had to pull on it and make sure it was al the way in, so I think i'll check the actuater when I get the chance and see whats going on there.

dirtautoguy12
11-20-2012, 10:51 PM
I finally got that u joint done and it seemed to make a big difference I think that must have been what it was. However the 4wd shifter on the floor seems really loose and can wiggle left and right can this be tightened?

j cAT
11-21-2012, 08:26 AM
I finally got that u joint done and it seemed to make a big difference I think that must have been what it was. However the 4wd shifter on the floor seems really loose and can wiggle left and right can this be tightened?

as long as it does not pop out its OK.

dirtautoguy12
11-21-2012, 04:10 PM
It doesn't seem to pop out at all now and it engages more like it goes all the way in

Add your comment to this topic!