Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 2.2 fuel sender gauge issue?

comet240
11-05-2012, 06:27 PM
hi i like to know if there is a way to test the Fuel Sender thats in the gas tank

the gauge says Full, but the tank is empty how can i test it? i cant remember but is the fuel sender on the same plug as the power to the fuel pump? or seperate as its a 460 dollars for the fuel pump and really dont wanna spend that for a stupid fuel level gauge

any input be good

Tech II
11-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Sender attaches to the module, so it is separate.......

Need a schematic to know which wires to jump in the external harness, that go to the gage......with key on, and harness disconnected, the gage should read full......if you short the circuit together, it should read empty(short the wrong wires and you blow fuel pump fuse).....if it does, it's the sender......i think your resistance values are 0 to 80 oms......if you remove jumper and stick a 40 ohm resistor into the circuit, it should read half full....

comet240
11-05-2012, 09:11 PM
ok ill check the book tommorow so then if its a seperate connector maybe its fallen off?

as it shows full and when you turn key on it shoots a little farther full

so does that mean you can buy a new sender? if its cooked? as i dont see that you can buy it just a whole new pump

Tech II
11-06-2012, 08:36 PM
I told you how to check it.....

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

comet240
11-06-2012, 09:05 PM
ok i confused i know you said that so i not sure what your getting at

i was stating how it shoots a little higher

also i wanted to know can you buy the sender unit that is attached to the fuel pump seperate or do you have to blow 500 dolllars for a whole fuel pump just to get the sender unit to tell the gas gauge the correct level

as i asked can you buy a new sender if it is cooked? and just snap it onto the fuel pump

and your link doesnt work well least doesnt work for cars no such thing as a 97 cavliar on there

comet240
11-06-2012, 09:13 PM
so then ur saying there is 2 seperate plugs then to the fuel pump 1 plug is for the fuel pump and 1 is for the sender unit? and from what i see from under neath i gotta drop the fuel tank just to test it and since that isnt an option till i run the tank empty i guess i gotta wait ugh

Tech II
11-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Click on link...

pick:

Chevrolet

cavalier

next screen pick top cavalier 2.2

next screen, on the list click fuel system...

next screen, type in the blank box, sender.....

The sender now comes on the screen.....$73

There is one harness coming out of the pump......underneath the top of the pump, there are two connectors that attach to the top...one for the pump and one for the sender....

You don't drop the tank to test the sender.......already told you how to test the sender.......with the key on, with the harness disconnected, the tank reads full.....you need to short the two wires in the harness half(not the half to the to the tank) that go to the fuel gage circuit......with this circuit shorted, the gage will go to empty......this tests the gage and circuit....if it does this, you know the sender is bad.....

Need a schematic to know which wires to jump....jump the wrong one and you blow the fuel pump fuse....

comet240
11-07-2012, 10:14 AM
ya ok i understand i looked under there it plugs in the floor of the car ill test it when i get my book out and find which wire

as for website one your website is down the service is unavalible

but like i was saying there is no cavliar
if you choose 1997 Cheverolte there is no population of Cavliar
but ill check later today

rkvons
11-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Ebay is your friend here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Level-Sensor-Sending-Unit-Fits-Chevrolet-Buick-Cadillac-More-/130755470098?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1997|Make%3AChevrolet|Model%3ACavalier&hash=item1e71a22312&vxp=mtr

make sure you verify whether any part you buy will fit your vehicle.

comet240
11-08-2012, 04:43 PM
ah ok ya and i tried with light prob and grounded it to the tail pipe an went half way so ya guesss need a new sender ill have to try my local car place

but now gotta reply in the other form i still cant get the air out of the brake lines its frustrating lol

Add your comment to this topic!