Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Best bang for buck

fmx_guy
11-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Looking for a few performance ideas on my 94 5.7l tbi k1500. First off I would like to run 87 octane. I already have a underdrive system and a msd blaster coil. But I am still feeling that it falls on its face in the mid rpms. My original idea is to add a very mild street cam that is tbi compatible in combination with a chip tuned with the new cam. Any ideas on this? One last thing I am trying to keep this economical. I do the work myself so wrench time is not a factor. Parts are. Thanks guys, mike

j cAT
11-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Looking for a few performance ideas on my 94 5.7l tbi k1500. First off I would like to run 87 octane. I already have a underdrive system and a msd blaster coil. But I am still feeling that it falls on its face in the mid rpms. My original idea is to add a very mild street cam that is tbi compatible in combination with a chip tuned with the new cam. Any ideas on this? One last thing I am trying to keep this economical. I do the work myself so wrench time is not a factor. Parts are. Thanks guys, mike

get another newer vehicle, 1996 plus with fuel injection. this would offer more options.

TBI is not a good design for power and MPG.

Schurkey
11-05-2012, 10:23 AM
get another newer vehicle, 1996 plus with fuel injection. this would offer more options.

TBI is not a good design for power and MPG.
Not so far from the truth.

There is nothing you can do that retains the swirl-port heads that's going to give you good power.

Moving on to a Vortec-headed engine can make all the difference.

(I just got aluminum heads for my '88 work truck back from the machine shop. The swirl-ports are going to be history sometime this winter.)

fmx_guy
11-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Has anyone had any dealings with tbi chips? I've read a few things this guy has done and its sounds halfway decent. I'm not looking for that much hp. If I could produce an extra 30-50 I would be thrilled!!

fmx_guy
11-05-2012, 06:26 PM
As far as I can tell would there be any issues using for example: a sealed power cs1014r cam with a edelbrock 3704 tbi intake with the chip flashed to coincide with the modification? This was my original plan. Is this logical and will it work?

fmx_guy
11-07-2012, 06:08 AM
Wow, no replies. Now the challenge begins. Once the hollidays are over, i will budget lets say 600$$ to correct my powerband woes. I will keep track of every penny spent. since i will do the work myself time will not be calculated. Just as always i will post my findings!!! Keep any advice coming as it is always appreciated! Thanks guys mike

j cAT
11-07-2012, 07:33 AM
Wow, no replies. Now the challenge begins. Once the hollidays are over, i will budget lets say 600$$ to correct my powerband woes. I will keep track of every penny spent. since i will do the work myself time will not be calculated. Just as always i will post my findings!!! Keep any advice coming as it is always appreciated! Thanks guys mike

there is no way 600.oo is going to get you 30-50 hp out of a power plant that now puts out 200HP if that.

If I had a chip that could do what your looking for I would be very rich man.

fmx_guy
11-07-2012, 07:11 PM
I really love it when someone tells me I CAN'T do it. Not just a chip a new cam and intake. 30 hp is not unrealistic and in truth all I am looking to do is bridge the gap in the powerband. 30-50 is a goal. I am now thinking of calling in a favor and having the heads done for free. It is amazing what you can do for barter and being buddies with the guys at the parts house! 600 is also a reasonable number to start at when you turn the wrench yourself. Also take this for another example: the truck in question is being painted debeer's special black. The truck is immaculate on the outside. Roughly a 3500 paint job. All I had to do is rebuild a tractor, redo the injectors and install the injector pump. EASY! Next I have to replace the timing belt and water pump in a Toyota Tacoma for him. No parts or labor cost to me for my paint or for tractor parts. Barter it's the best way to go. Hence that's why I set my price at 600. I like coming to this site because of the excellent info saves time and money.Heck everyone who contributes Barters!!

fmx_guy
11-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Also, check out tbi chips.com this guy has done some cool things for these tbi motors.

fmx_guy
11-08-2012, 06:09 AM
Since we are talking best bang for buck. Let me breifly tell about how cheap i am! a vast majority of my tools are second hand, i only pay premium if i have to, i use on sale harbor freight tools(when feasible), i go to yard sales-estate sales. you never know where that good deal will come from, also word of mouth if im looking for something i put it out there. use the contacts,friends,coworkers,and even family to keep ears open! and lastly patience! ok im done. just letting you guys in on a little about cheapy me. Sorry to get even more off topic but i believe it is relavant to my 600$ spending goal. Have a most wonderful day! Mike

j cAT
11-08-2012, 06:41 AM
have the vehicle HP measured now. then spend the 600.oo and then have the hp measured again. running on 87 octance fuel both times.

post back what you got.

Schurkey
11-08-2012, 12:45 PM
have the vehicle HP measured now. then spend the 600.oo and then have the hp measured again. running on 87 octance fuel both times.

post back what you got.
First guess: It'll break your heart.

You keep the swirl-port heads, you're gonna be disappointed. The only thing in your favor is that the camshaft is so unbelievably mild that you may find some power in replacing it.

fmx_guy
11-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Ya the heads right. I've been trying to find someone with some dart heads, but new they are 200 and some change apiece. That's over budget. I'm still researching other venues on the heads. And if you have any ideas on some diff heads let me know. Thanks mike

fmx_guy
11-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Schurkey, LOL just read all of your reply: first guess it will break your heart! I already know!!! Ha ha

Add your comment to this topic!