Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

86 Chevy Suburban

rarrickc
11-04-2012, 06:07 PM
I've been having a problem with my 86 Chevy Suburban. It has a 305 motor. So I had to replace the starter and flywheel. Now the stupid truck wont start. The starter and flywheel were both matched up to the previous ones that were in it and they also match the auto stores numbers. The starter is bolted all the way to the block with no shims and there is still a good gap between the starter and the flywheel. Enough of a gap that the starter will not touch the flywheel. So, listening to everyone I could, we have replace all the wires to the starter in case of a power issue. We have shimmed both bolts on the starter evenly until it wouldn't touch anymore on the other side. We have shimmed just the bolt on the back angleing the starter (we've actually been able to get the truck to start a few times that way but then it doesn't work anymore after 2 starts). We have tried everything we can and have had to replace the starter and flywheel many times because if we mess around with it enough it chews all the teeth up. I am frustrated and exhausted messing with it anymore and tired of not having a running vehicle. If anyone can help figure this mess out please, please, please HELP!

j cAT
11-05-2012, 03:50 PM
matching the flywheel original to a replacement should be not that hard to do. the starter is another story. I would mount the old starter and with power to just the solenoid see how it lines up to the flywheel teeth. the big 12volt wire off/taped up.

I have had line up issues with auto part stores before. I use only USA industries starters.

the teeth should be about 1/16-1/8in gap with the solenoid energized or manual engagement.

j cAT
11-05-2012, 03:58 PM
what suburban is this ? many various models. R/K/C 10/20/1500/ etc....

Add your comment to this topic!