Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1982 Diesel 6.2L Starts and then Stops

Techventure
10-31-2012, 07:24 PM
I have a 1982 short-box chevy pick-up with a diesel 8 cylinder 6.2L that will start and run for a few seconds and then shuts down. It may restart and do the same thing. It will not keep running after an initial few seconds.

I have a mechanic that operates an automotive repair business in our hamlet and he took it on although not an expert on diesels. He works on it when he gets time and talking to him today he feels it must be an electrical problem shutting things down as fuel is getting from the fuel pump to the injection pump.

Any experience or familiarity with what is happening and giving us the benefit of your help would be apprecated.

Thanks in advance for your attention to our situation.

MagicRat
10-31-2012, 09:29 PM
First of all, I'll suggest the obvious. Drain the water from the water seperator, and change the fuel filter.

Did you run out of fuel recently? If so, the fuel rail may need bleeding.

Your truck engine is and fuel system is entirely mechanical, that is, once its started and running, it needs no electricity for it to run.

It's been years since I worked on one of these, but I believe there is a fuel shut-off solenoid. This is energised when you turn on the ignition, allowing fuel flow. Turn off the ignition, electricity is cut off and the soleniod shuts off the fuel flow. It's possible this solenoid may be defective or there is no electrical power going to it.

Techventure
06-05-2013, 07:52 PM
To help anyone else with this problem it turned out to be the solenoid on the injector pump. I had it replaced and the engine started .
I haven't started it this spring so will keep my fingers crossed the problem has been solved.
Thanks!

DeltaP
06-06-2013, 05:27 PM
To help anyone else with this problem it turned out to be the solenoid on the injector pump. I had it replaced and the engine started .
I haven't started it this spring so will keep my fingers crossed the problem has been solved.
Thanks!

You're welcome!

Add your comment to this topic!