Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Suburban No Start

BoomBoom2006
10-29-2012, 11:09 PM
I removed the cluster in my friends 2003 Suburban last week to send it in for repairs as the gear selector and backlights as they were not working. I used this company several times before and they do excellent work. When the cluster arrived back a few days later I installed it and the truck would not start. I made sure the battery wasn't ran down and that everything was connected and still nothing. I called the GM dealer and the service tech told me that the truck should run without the cluster plugged in. Tryed it and still no luck. I proceeded to do the passkey security relearn procedure even though the security light was not lit and nothing. I got on here yesterday and read a post of about possibly a bad connection in the stearing column so I lifted the coulmn up and down several times while trying to start the truck and got nothing. All of the lights come on and I hear the fuel pump prime but it does not attempt to start. I drove the truck in the garage the day I removed the cluster and it ran great. I know cars fairly well and this one has me stumped. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

gmtech1
10-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Just so everybody here is clear, is this a "no crank" condition, or a "crank, no start" condition?

If its a no crank, check the ING E fuse and the CRANK fuse in the underhood fuse block. Also you may want to see if it cranks while moving the shifter, or try and start it in neutral.

j cAT
10-31-2012, 07:55 AM
a no crank condition would not be the security circuit.

when you replaced the dash cluster you removed the negative battery connection ? if not then check all fuses with a meter. If the fuses are good check at the starter for voltage [big wire] .

the vehicle will run with the dash cluster removed. operating with this removed is not recommended because the pcm will not properly regulate the engine performance.

BoomBoom2006
10-31-2012, 10:55 PM
I did not remove the negative cable before I removed the dash. This was a no crank condition. I also tryed to move the shifter through the gears with no success. Checked fuses and there were none blown. She need to get it back on the road so she had it towed to the local dealer. She called me this afternoon and they claim it is the starter and it will be done tomorrow. She told me that it never once had any problems starting so I don't know how the starter could all the sudden be dead. I guess I will wait and see what tomorrow brings.

j cAT
11-01-2012, 02:12 PM
I did not remove the negative cable before I removed the dash. This was a no crank condition. I also tryed to move the shifter through the gears with no success. Checked fuses and there were none blown. She need to get it back on the road so she had it towed to the local dealer. She called me this afternoon and they claim it is the starter and it will be done tomorrow. She told me that it never once had any problems starting so I don't know how the starter could all the sudden be dead. I guess I will wait and see what tomorrow brings.

in the future make sure you remove the negative battery connection. that air bag when it hits you in face face is not a good thing.

also those dash circuits are on. there is electronic components that can be damaged.

remove battery connection turn ignition on for a few min. then start taking the dash apart.

the starter may have just acted up. should have checked for voltage to it. if it had voltage then with the key in the crank position hit the stater body with a hammer to shock it.

the solenoid contacts do act up on these .

Add your comment to this topic!