Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 K2500 Brake Conversion

hobitopia
10-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Hey all,

I have a 97 k2500, and my brake booster is leaking vacuum. I was wondering if anyone know how big of a hassle (in terms of parts and labor hours) it would be to convert from the vacuum booster to the hydro booster.

I do a good bit of heavy towing with the truck, and if it's not going to be too much work, I'd like to take the opportunity get some more power to the brakes since I have to take the old booster off anyways. A quick google search didn't yield any helpful results.

Thanks.

j cAT
10-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Hey all,

I have a 97 k2500, and my brake booster is leaking vacuum. I was wondering if anyone know how big of a hassle (in terms of parts and labor hours) it would be to convert from the vacuum booster to the hydro booster.

I do a good bit of heavy towing with the truck, and if it's not going to be too much work, I'd like to take the opportunity get some more power to the brakes since I have to take the old booster off anyways. A quick google search didn't yield any helpful results.

Thanks.

with a vehicle this old I would just replace the booster .

if you need more braking effort replace the rotors and the drums. get some high quality brake pad/shoes.

you most likely had a vacuum leak for some time. the pedal gradually getting harder and stoping more difficult.

Schurkey
10-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Some folks are installing Hydroboost on hot-rods; if the parts can be made to fit on a Camaro or Chevelle, I'd think installing it on a pickup would be dead simple.

Different PS pump, the power head, and a bunch of hoses/plumbing should do it.

That said...the vacuum system should be plenty. I've had several vehicles (two Luminas in particular) where the booster failed to provide appropriate boost. The brakes worked fine--except for the insane amount of pedal pressure needed. Once new boosters were installed, it was back to stopping with "my big toe" again.

hobitopia
10-31-2012, 08:24 AM
Different PS pump, the power head, and a bunch of hoses/plumbing should do it.

Yeah just the cost difference between the vacuum booster and the hydro booster without the extra hardware was enough to dissuade me. It would be way cheaper to just throw in a brake controller.

Schurkey
10-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Yeah just the cost difference between the vacuum booster and the hydro booster without the extra hardware was enough to dissuade me. It would be way cheaper to just throw in a brake controller.
Brake controller?

j cAT
10-31-2012, 02:59 PM

the only way to increase the braking effort of the vehicle would be to increase the braking surface. larger calipers/drums etc.

hydroboost is good because you can tap into it. too old to spend that kind of money.

the new brake booster with a good bleed and new rotors/drums/shoes will make it stop like new.

hobitopia
11-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Brake controller?

For the brakes on the trailer...

the only way to increase the braking effort of the vehicle would be to increase the braking surface. larger calipers/drums etc.

hydroboost is good because you can tap into it. too old to spend that kind of money.

the new brake booster with a good bleed and new rotors/drums/shoes will make it stop like new.

Yeah, I'm probably going to do that.

Add your comment to this topic!