Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Regal heater shuts off on high

patriot777
10-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks so much for reading. I have a 3.8l 98 Regal LS with 120k. The heater shuts off when it is turned to high..otherwise it functions properly in the other position. The fuse isn't blown.

I don't have too much experience working on cars so if someone wanted to give me step by step instructions to fix it that would be extremely appreciated. Photos would be awesome too. I really appreciate your time.

Tech II
10-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Usually when you lose one or more speeds from your blower, the culprit is the resistor block.....in some cases, there is a seperate fuse for just high speed, so check that first.....

But if this is a manual sytem, my money would be on the resistor block......to find it's location just follow the harness from the blower motor back to it....3 screws hold it in, but are not easy to get to.....

Before I would attempt to remove the block I would verify that it is bad.....get a new one, unplug the old one, attach the harness to the new one, and attach the new harness from the block to the blower.....then check your speeds....

DeltaP
10-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the resistor usually by-passed on high speed? Check for a separate fuse or relay like TechII says but the fan speed switch and wiring might be the problem.

patriot777
10-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the replies except now I have two possible answers....please help me decide.

There is a separate fuse for high speed. It's a 25 amp fuse and it is NOT blown. It is speed 5 or the highest speed that is malfunctioning turning my blower motor completely off.

What should I throw at it first....a climate control panel switch or a resistor? They are both the same price on ebay....I have to get parts cheap because I'm short money.

Also, if you think the resistor needs to be replaced do I have to remove the glove box or will removing the panel underneath give me enough clearance?

Add your comment to this topic!