Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ford Torino 351c 4bbl

john.coxiii1016
10-24-2012, 11:33 PM
I'm not very mechanically inclined so hopefully you guys can help, I have a 4dr 1970 ford torino w/ 351c 4 barrel carb and I want to switch it to a 2 barrel for better fuel economy, do y'all have any opinions as to which brand I should buy and how I would install? I appreciate the help guys n gals.

Thanks,

"If your not FIRST your LAST!!!" -Reese Bobby

mechhound
10-25-2012, 09:21 PM
If your Torino is running and performing properly with the current 4 barrel carburetor, and you drive sensibly, I doubt you'll gain much if any fuel economy. In fact my high school shop teacher told us a 4 barrel carburetor would give better fuel economy because the primary carb jets could be smaller because you had the other 2 barrels when you really needed power.

What kind of highway gas mileage are you currently getting?

MagicRat
10-26-2012, 12:22 AM
I totally agree..... virtually all 4 bbl carbs run on only 2 barrels, unless you really stick your foot in it. As noted above, often these 2 barrels are slightly smaller than the barrels found in a 2 barrel carb, resulting in better fuel economy for average driving.

The carb on this car should be an Autolite (Fords own design) and they were an excellent carb for day-to-day driving.

You are much better served by giving this car a really sharp tune -up by a mechanic who knows what they are doing with 40++ year old systems.

The ignition timing, advance curve, spark duration (dwell) and carburetor mixture are all mechanically -controlled and adjustable. Its easy for one or more of these controls to go out of adjustment, and kill the fuel mileage.

Furthermore, several critical parts, such as the ignition points -and- condensor have a relatively short life (about 10,000 miles or less). They are cheap and pretty easy to install, but if they are neglected, the car runs poorly and won't pass a gas station.

Add your comment to this topic!