Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

hi need help with theft system

shawn707
10-24-2012, 02:48 AM
hi every one
i have 1996 sunfire gt. the guage cluster/instrument panel was dead when i bought it so i went to salvage yard and found one from same model but when i installed it the car wont start it just start for 1-2 seconds the it shuts off and i google it. it says leave the key in on position for ten minutes, tried this step almost 10 times but still car wont start can any one help to how to bypass theft system thanks in advance!

Tech II
10-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Did you use a cluster from the same year car?

Did you do this, EXACTLY(this involves 3-10 minute cycles of the key, so a jumper is needed)?

Pull e-brake so auto lights don't come on.....put a jumper box across the battery, so volts don't drop during programming.....turn key to crank position and release the key.....car starts and dies.....THEFT light should be on......wait 10 minutes......THEFT light should go out by now....

Now, turn key to off....wait 5 seconds......turn key to on(don't crank).....THEFT light should be on.....wait 10 minutes.....THEFT light should go out.....

Now, turn key to off....wait 5 seconds......turn key to on(don't crank).....THEFT light should be on.....wait 10 minutes.....THEFT light should go out.....

After having done this 3X's, turn key to off......wait 5 seconds, now try to start the vehicle......

Must do this exactly as I have written.....

Add your comment to this topic!