Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

700r4 4x4

bravens
10-23-2012, 04:26 AM
I had a shop install a used 700r4 trans in my 1990 1500 chevy p/u. I know 100% without a doubt the trans was in good working order when I took it out of 1989 Chevy 4x4. Picked up truck today was not shifting well delayed shift drove it to work approximately 10 miles. Come out to go home shifted but extremely late and only after whining out high rpm. Made it down about 8 miles got stopped at traffic light. Pull away from light wouldnt shift out of 1st. Made it home last 2 miles going 10 mph. Got home checked fluid level. Fuild level is way way over filled past the grid for when warm. Would this over fill situation cause the shift problem??? Can it be corrected by simply draining fluid out to obtain proper level or has the over fill situation already caused damage????

Schurkey
10-24-2012, 11:29 AM
When MY 700 did that, the fluid level was high because it was overheated and expanded more.

The planetary had eaten all it's needle bearings, the planet gears were rattling around on their pivot shafts. Metal particles everywhere sticking valve body valves, and sticking the governor.

$1600 ten or fifteen years ago.

Check the fluid level when it cools down again. Should be under-full when cold. Call the trans shop NOW.

First Guess: You supplied the transmission; they're not going to pay to fix it. Be sure the trans they put in is the same trans you gave them.

MT-2500
10-25-2012, 07:24 AM
I had a shop install a used 700r4 trans in my 1990 1500 chevy p/u. I know 100% without a doubt the trans was in good working order when I took it out of 1989 Chevy 4x4. Picked up truck today was not shifting well delayed shift drove it to work approximately 10 miles. Come out to go home shifted but extremely late and only after whining out high rpm. Made it down about 8 miles got stopped at traffic light. Pull away from light wouldnt shift out of 1st. Made it home last 2 miles going 10 mph. Got home checked fluid level. Fuild level is way way over filled past the grid for when warm. Would this over fill situation cause the shift problem??? Can it be corrected by simply draining fluid out to obtain proper level or has the over fill situation already caused damage????

Fuid should be at proper level.

Late shifting can be caused by TV throttle cable not adjusted right or unhooked.
Have the repair shop check that out and repair as needed.

Also if old transmission was in bad shape with metal shavings in fluid the rasdiator transmission cooler and lines have to be flushed out when insalling another transmission.
If not done the metal and dirt fron old transmission sdtuck in raidator cooler will go back into transmission valve body and govenor and stick valves aqnd cause bad or no shifting.

Add your comment to this topic!