Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4.6 engine catalytic converter location?

Recoil spring
10-20-2012, 03:00 PM
I have a 2000 Lincoln Town Car with a single exhaust system, part of/attached to the frontal area of the exhaust "Y" pipe are two lumps with heat shields, the muffler is obvious in the mid-section of the car, but are those "lumps" the catalytic converters, and if so, why two when the older cars had only one?

Thanks.

All2kool
10-21-2012, 09:36 AM
I have a 2000 Lincoln Town Car with a single exhaust system, part of/attached to the frontal area of the exhaust "Y" pipe are two lumps with heat shields, the muffler is obvious in the mid-section of the car, but are those "lumps" the catalytic converters, and if so, why two when the older cars had only one?

Thanks.

One is a Pre-CAT, the other is the Catalytic Converter. Be thankful you don't have dual exhaust. Why are you thinking you need to replace either?

Recoil spring
10-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks for your reply, All2Kool. I am an ex-mechanic and still have a passion for working on my cars, I also try to protect myself financially by studying everything about my car, that way if there is a problem mechanically I can fix it myself, or keep the unscrupulous commercial mechanic from cheating me.

It just seemed odd to see what looks like 2 catalytic converters on the car. So far there is not any problem that I know of with them.

Add your comment to this topic!