Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 GLS Alero won't crank when it's near freezing and humid..

bovic
10-19-2012, 06:34 AM
3.4 2001 GLS.. When it's near freezing out there and humid, the car won't crank, it's not the starter since I can get it going by jumping it.. I'll just leave the car alone, go to work and start it later and it will start just fine for who knows how long..

It did it 2 days ago, I didn't notice any security light on solid or anything else whatsoever but I think I have an electrical intermittent problem that gets worst with humidity or colder humid air.. I've read most topics here but I still can't figure it out so far.. Inspecting the fuse box showed that the positive wire was surrounded by green dust, I've cleaned that.. My horn sounds anemic at times when I use the remote door lock..

Is there a relay dedicated to crank the car, I mean, sending the power to the starter solenoid? I just don't get the relation with that near freezing or freezing temperature thing.. Anybody has an electric schematic of that starter/key hole wiring?

Any help would be appreciated.. If you need some clarification, feel free to ask.. English is not my 1st language, if you didn't notice.:redface:

Thanx..

Tech II
10-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Well, if the starter is ok, the it's possible it may be a SECURITY issue.....If this uses a starter enable relay.....if it doesn't, then it could be a P/N switch, Ignition switch, or the wiring/connections between these components and the starter....

bovic
10-25-2012, 07:01 AM
My diagnostic so far is that there's a relay under the hood or somewhere else that is weak, when it's colder it loses power to engage electrically, where is that litle relay and wich is it?.. This morning it was a few degrees over the freezing point, it did it, do, after trying a few time it did engage.. Weird stuff man..

jamesslcx
10-29-2012, 05:25 PM
bovic, have you fixed the problem yet? Have you had the battery tested?

danielsatur
10-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Like an old battery in a cell phone, the battery might not be holding a charge like it once did.

bovic
10-30-2012, 05:16 AM
Problem not fixed yet but jumping the starter wires on the starter will get it going.. Weather isn't cold these days so the problem's not around..

jamesslcx
10-30-2012, 04:51 PM
bovic,I can't recall if these cars have any kind of starter relay or not. Sounds like you have excessive resistance somewhere in the starting system that's worse when it's cold. Have you checked and cleaned all the related wiring and connections?

aleekat
10-30-2012, 05:09 PM
If it is starting up at the starter, then suspect ignition switch, neutral safety switch, battery cables etc. All that gets bypassed jumpering directly at the starter.

Add your comment to this topic!