Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New dashboard light coming on and going off

2001Alero
10-18-2012, 07:00 PM
You guys have saved me a lot of heartache with my car and I wanted to see if I can get another lifeline.

First, I've have a 2001 Alero with 113K miles and have had the Track, ABS, Service lights going for years, after reading that it's a common issue with the wheel hub assembly. Anyway, I notice a new light comes on sometimes. It's a near square symbol and it's red with a mark in the middle. I do not know what makes it come on or go off, but it does randomly and has been for the past few days.

Also of note, yesterday I had the car in reverse and before I could touch the gas to move, it was shaking like crazy, but didn't do it when I put it in drive. I went back and forth between reverse and drive on the gear without driving in either direction just to make sure the reverse was the only time it did that. After driving home, I backed in my parking space and the shaking didn't occur.

Another issue - the damned button on my gear popped off and won't stay back in. What's the best way to fix this without going to a car shop to get the push button back in so I can change from drive to reverse, etc. with ease?

Final question - I was told by a mechanic I trust that it's pointless to flush or change the transmission fluid, because usually once people do that, the cars tranny goes out anyway. Is this true or not in your experience?

Tech II
10-19-2012, 03:10 PM
You guys have saved me a lot of heartache with my car and I wanted to see if I can get another lifeline.

First, I've have a 2001 Alero with 113K miles and have had the Track, ABS, Service lights going for years, after reading that it's a common issue with the wheel hub assembly. Anyway, I notice a new light comes on sometimes. It's a near square symbol and it's red with a mark in the middle. I do not know what makes it come on or go off, but it does randomly and has been for the past few days.

Not sure what it is.....do you have an owner's manual? Should explain the symbol....

Also of note, yesterday I had the car in reverse and before I could touch the gas to move, it was shaking like crazy, but didn't do it when I put it in drive. I went back and forth between reverse and drive on the gear without driving in either direction just to make sure the reverse was the only time it did that. After driving home, I backed in my parking space and the shaking didn't occur.

It's possible a harness is moving with the engine, and possibly grounding somewhere, when it shouldn't....

Another issue - the damned button on my gear popped off and won't stay back in. What's the best way to fix this without going to a car shop to get the push button back in so I can change from drive to reverse, etc. with ease?

Are you talking about the knob on the top of the shifter? On the front of it is a slot with a U-shaped retainer.....if it comes loose, the knob may come upward a little......check it out...

Final question - I was told by a mechanic I trust that it's pointless to flush or change the transmission fluid, because usually once people do that, the cars tranny goes out anyway. Is this true or not in your experience?

Oh, absolutely....if you ever change your tranny fluid, your tranny goes bad.....NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2001Alero
10-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the quick response! I found out the light is the low coolant light. I need to add some anti-freeze.

Are you talking about the knob on the top of the shifter? On the front of it is a slot with a U-shaped retainer.....if it comes loose, the knob may come upward a little......check it out...

The button I push on left side of the shift so that it will move in P,D,R,Neutral, etc. It came out and I cannot get it to stay back in.

Oh, absolutely....if you ever change your tranny fluid, your tranny goes bad.....NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I take that as I need to change my tranny fluid ASAP. I'm at 114,450 miles now. I misstated my miles earlier.

2001Alero
11-13-2012, 06:44 AM
I filled it with anti-freeze weeks ago, but the light came back on this weekend. Here it is http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=33xv7k5&s=6

gmtech1
11-13-2012, 08:11 AM
If the coolant level is up and the light is still on, either the sensor is bad or there is a poor connection/wiring issue with it. Most likley it's a sensor problem. I'm pretty sure that sensor is part of the surge tank (where you added fluid).

Tech II
11-13-2012, 02:25 PM
If the light came back on and then level in the reservoir is low, you obviously have a leak.....which engine?

If the 3.1/3.4, then possible lower intake gaskets....if 2.4, check weep hole at w/p....

2001Alero
11-19-2012, 12:50 PM
I think I've nailed it down. I have a coolant leak. My light came back on just a day or so after filling the coolant tank. Then filled the tank again yesterday and noticed wet spots on the pavement hours later. It was dark, so I didn't crack the hood. I looked under the hood this morning and there was no visible sign from the top or side that the leak was from the tank and not the hosing. Any idea how much paying for this repair would cost?

Tech II
11-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Told you where to look, depending on the engine......

What you need to do, is pressure test the system, and find the source.....

Since it's external, could be radiator, hoses, w/p, lower intake gasket, head gasket, heater core, etc.

Add your comment to this topic!