Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Camaro wont start

ChaseChevy8922
10-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Own an 89 camaro, has a 350. Im gettin spark my plugs are new.. fuel pump is replaced but when i turn it over im only getting drips from the injectors into the carb. so id think they were clogged. When i get it started with a little gas to the carb they spray fine though? so when its running they are spraying like theyre supposed to but when im trying to start they wont spray, just drip.. not a mechanic, dont claim to be, just need some suggestions.

j cAT
10-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Own an 89 camaro, has a 350. Im gettin spark my plugs are new.. fuel pump is replaced but when i turn it over im only getting drips from the injectors into the carb. so id think they were clogged. When i get it started with a little gas to the carb they spray fine though? so when its running they are spraying like theyre supposed to but when im trying to start they wont spray, just drip.. not a mechanic, dont claim to be, just need some suggestions.

so this is a cold start issue ? this may be the ECT sensor. this would give info to the ecm to turn on the injectors longer during a cold start.If the sensor reports that the engine temp is hot you will not get this to open the injectors long enough. make sure the injectors are getting a good voltage with the engine off ignition on. also check the engine grounds. these injectors have 12volts to them at all times they squirt fuel when the injector return side of the coil is grounded thru the ecm .

if you have 2 injectors this is not a carb. this is called throttle body injection. these 2 injectors if spraying [both ] when the engine is running means there ok.

Majoroutlaw
10-18-2012, 06:14 PM
try to run a fuel pressure test on it. alot of time when fuel pressure is too low you wont get adequate jet spray, but when primed like manually inducing fuel the jets will open allowing fuel to pass. apply power and ground to your jet. if it functions correctly i would look for a bad ground or frayed wire to jet/injector. otherwise, you may also have a clogged fuel filter,line, or jet. i have seen many new fuel pumps lack adequate pressure, especially with aftermarket pumps. i always recommend ac delco pumps in all gm makes and models.

Add your comment to this topic!